Buies Creek, N.C. – Alyssa Oakes had a game-high six RBI, including two home runs, on Sunday afternoon as the USC Upstate softball team completed a three-game sweep of the Campbell Camels with an 8-4 victory in the finale at Amanda Littlejohn Stadium.
USC Upstate has now won eight games in a row and improves to 31-10 overall and 11-4 in the Big South while Campbell falls to 18-23 on the season and 9-9 in conference play.
- Top 1st – Oakes hit her first home run of the game, and 16th of the season, with one out in the top of the first to give the Spartans a 2-0 lead. Sarah Price scored on Oakes' home run after leading off the game with a walk.
- Bottom 2nd – The Camels cut USC Upstate's lead to 2-1 on an RBI double by Megan Mozingo.
- Top 3rd – The Spartans extended their lead back to two runs, 3-1, after Megan Obier's RBI single to right field. Makenna Helton scored on the single by Obier following her lead off infield single.
- Bottom 3rd – Claudia Ware made it a 3-2 game with her RBI bunt single.
- Top 4th – USC Upstate broke the game open scoring five times to extend its lead to 8-2. Oakes highlighted the inning by hitting her team-leading 17th home run of the season, a grand slam, to left field. Helton started the scoring with her RBI single to center field.
- Bottom 4th – Campbell added two more runs to trim its deficit down to 8-4 on RBI's from Mozingo and Hannah McCravy.
- Christina Biggerstaff (19-3) earned the win pitching a complete game and allowed four runs on eight hits, one walk and seven strikeouts.
- Haley Hutchins (7-12) took the loss surrendering eight runs (seven earned) on eight hits, one walk and no strikeouts in 3.1 innings of work.
- Oakes recorded her third multi-homer game of the season after leading the Spartans with six RBI on two hits and two runs scored.
- Helton went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and one RBI.
- Obier added one hit and one RBI.
- Kristen Wright also contributed two hits.
- Price tied for the team-lead with two runs scored.
- Mozingo and Ware both had two hits for the Camels while Mozingo contributed two RBI.
- USC Upstate returns home for its final six home games of the season this week beginning on Wednesday and Thursday, April 10-11, hosting Gardner-Webb in a three-game series.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).