Buies Creek, N.C. – Christina Biggerstaff had 10 strikeouts while Alyssa Oakes, Brittany Case and Sarah Price each combined for four hits on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate softball team opened a three-game series against the Campbell Camels by sweeping a doubleheader at Amanda Littlejohn Stadium.
USC Upstate has now won seven games in a row and improves to 30-10 on the season and 10-4 in Big South play while Campbell falls to 18-22 overall and 9-8 in the conference.
The Spartans swept the doubleheader by scores of 5-0 in game one and 19-5 in five innings during game two.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 5, CAMPBELL 0
- Top 4th – USC Upstate broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning scoring twice to go ahead 2-0. Alicia Dorgan drove in Riley Sheehy, pinch-running for Oakes, with an RBI infield single. Savannah Grigsby followed in the next at-bat with an RBI groundout to second base that scored Megan Obier.
- Top 6th – Oakes extended the Spartans lead to 3-0 in the sixth after hitting her team-leading 15th home run of the season, a solo blast, to left center field.
- Top 7th – USC Upstate added two more runs to take a 5-0 lead. Kayla Hussey plated Grigsby on a fielder's choice and a Camel throwing error then allowed Hussey to score.
- Biggerstaff (18-3) earned the win throwing a complete game shutout and gave up just one hit on four walks and 10 strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff did not allow a hit over the first six innings and recorded double-digit strikeouts for her fourth straight outing.
- Haley Hutchins (7-11) suffered the loss allowing five runs (three earned) on seven hits, no walks and one strikeout in a complete game effort.
- Price led the Spartans offensively after going 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Oakes, Dorgan, Grigsby and Hussey each contributed one RBI.
- Five different players scored one run apiece.
- Abby Perryman collected the only hit for Campbell.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 19, CAMPBELL 5 (5)
- Top 1st – Oakes put USC Upstate in front 1-0 with her RBI double to right center field allowing Price to score from third. Oakes later came home on a passed ball and Obier scored from second after a Camel throwing error as the Spartans went ahead 3-0.
- Bottom 1st – Campbell cut its deficit down to 3-1 on an RBI single from Perryman.
- Top 2nd – Price put USC Upstate back in front by three, 4-1, on her RBI groundout that drove in Kristen Wright.
- Bottom 2nd – The Camels scored three runs in the bottom of the second to tie the game at 4-4. Kayla Fredendall highlighted the inning with her two-RBI single while Bri Bryant added an RBI groundout.
- Top 3rd – The Spartans responded by scoring six times and broke the game open to take a 10-4 lead. Case got the scoring started by coming home on a Campbell throwing error. Grigsby followed with an RBI infield single. Hussey and Makenna Helton then posted back-to-back RBI's as Hussey grounded out and Helton singled. Oakes highlighted the inning with a two-RBI single to center field.
- Top 5th – USC Upstate plated nine more runs on seven hits to increase its lead to 19-4. Case, Oakes and Helton each had two RBI in the inning. Helton recorded a two-RBI single while Oakes followed with a two-RBI triple. Case drove in the first run of the inning on her RBI double and later added an RBI single. Grigsby contributed an RBI single while Hussey drew an RBI bases loaded walk. Obier had an RBI off a Camel fielding error.
- Bottom 5th – Campbell made the score 19-5 on Kynadi Tipler's RBI double.
- Erin Hill (11-7) picked up the win after pitching five innings and allowed five runs on nine hits, two walks and one strikeout.
- Megan Richards (11-9) took the loss throwing 2.2 innings and surrendered 10 runs (three earned) on nine hits, three walks and one strikeout.
- The Spartans set a new season-high in hits and runs scored during the game two victory.
- Case led USC Upstate offensively with four hits, a new career-high, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Oakes had a game-high five RBI on three hits and two runs scored. It is the third time this season that she has compiled five or more RBI in a game.
- Helton had a career-high three RBI and tied her career-best of three hits.
- Grigsby set two career-highs with three hits and two RBI.
- Hussey added two RBI and Price one.
- Obier went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and one RBI.
- Fredendall, Tipler and Perryman had two hits each for the Camels.
- Fredendall registered a team-high two RBI.
- The Spartans close out their three-game series against Campbell on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).