Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team, led by a combined 20 strikeouts from Christina Biggerstaff and Erin Hill, won its fifth consecutive game on Wednesday as it swept the Western Carolina Catamounts in a non-conference doubleheader at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 28-10 on the season while Western Carolina falls to 13-21 overall.
The Spartans swept the doubleheader by scores of 8-0 in five innings during game one and 5-0 in game two.
GAME ONE – WESTERN CAROLINA 0, USC UPSTATE 8 (5)
- Bottom 1st – USC Upstate struck first for two runs in the bottom of the first to go ahead 2-0. Alyssa Oakes began the scoring by driving in Sarah Price with her RBI double to right center field. Oakes then scored on an RBI single to center field from Megan Obier.
- Bottom 3rd – The Spartans added a single run in the third to increase their lead to 3-0 on Brittany Case's solo home run to left field. It was Case's fourth home run of the season.
- Bottom 4th – Price brought home Kristen Wright, who reached on an infield single, with her RBI single to right field to put USC Upstate in front 4-0.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans secured the 8-0 win in the fifth after scoring a total of four runs. Oakes started the inning with a solo home run, her team-leading 14th of the season, to center field. Kayla Hussey highlighted the inning with her two-RBI double to left field. Price added her second RBI of the game with a single to left field.
- Biggerstaff (17-3) won her third straight start throwing a complete game shutout limiting the Catamounts to just two hits on two walks and 10 strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff struck out 10 or more batters for the third straight game and sixth time overall this season.
- Shaina Reed (4-11) suffered the loss allowing seven runs on nine hits, one walk and one strikeout in 4.1 innings of work.
- Price, Oakes and Case all compiled a team-leading two hits for USC Upstate.
- Price drove in two RBI along with Oakes and Hussey.
- Case contributed two runs scored and one RBI.
- Ashlyn Long and Madison Armstrong had one hit each for Western Carolina.
GAME TWO – WESTERN CAROLINA 0, USC UPSTATE 5
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans took an early 1-0 lead on Obier's RBI infield single allowing Price to score. Price led off the inning with an infield single.
- Bottom 3rd – Case pushed USC Upstate's lead to 2-0 in the third inning on her solo home run to left center field. It was Case's second home run of the day and fifth of the season.
- Bottom 4th – The Spartans broke the game open scoring three times to take a 5-0 lead. Price, Oakes and Makenna Helton all had one RBI each in the inning. Price drove in the first run on her RBI single to left field while Helton plated Savannah Grigsby, who reached on an infield single, after a Catamount fielding error. Oakes later added an RBI bases loaded walk.
- Hill (10-7) struck out a career-high 10 batters after throwing a complete game shutout and gave up just two hits while allowing no walks.
- Kinsey Liscio (7-6) took the loss pitching six innings and surrendered five runs on eight hits, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Price had a team-high two hits while adding one RBI and one run scored.
- Helton, Case and Obier each collected one hit and one RBI.
- Oakes tallied one RBI.
- Armstrong and Hunter Gibbons recorded one hit apiece for Western Carolina.
- USC Upstate travels to Campbell this weekend, April 6-7, for a three-game conference series against the Camels.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).