Spartanburg, S.C. – Alyssa Oakes recorded a game-high three RBI while Alicia Dorgan had two as the USC Upstate softball team completed a three-game sweep of the Hampton Lady Pirates with a 9-1 victory in six innings on Sunday afternoon at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 26-10 on the season and 8-4 in Big South play while Hampton falls to 18-11 overall and 3-6 in the conference.
- Top 1st – The Lady Pirates struck first for a 1-0 lead when Kial Watts drove in Taylor Warrick with an RBI single to right center field.
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans answered with a single run to tie the score at 1-1. Oakes drove in Sarah Price for the game-tying run on her RBI ground out. Price led off the inning with a double down the left field line and advanced to third on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 2nd – USC Upstate added a run in the second to go ahead 2-1. After reaching on a fielder's choice, Savannah Grigsby stole second base. A Hampton throwing error on Grigsby's steal attempt allowed her to score from second base.
- Bottom 6th – The Spartans secured the 9-1 victory after scoring seven times in the bottom of the sixth. Oakes started the scoring by hitting her team-leading 13th home run of the season, a two-run blast, to left center field. Dorgan followed with a two-RBI double to right center field and Kristen Wright added an RBI single to left center field. In the next at-bat, Kayla Hussey drove in Wright on her RBI single to right field. Makenna Helton brought in Price, who reached on a fielder's choice, for the game-winning run with her RBI single down the right field line.
- Christina Biggerstaff (16-3) earned the win pitching all six innings and surrendered one run on four hits, one walk and 12 strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff recorded 10 or more strikeouts in back-to-back appearances for the first time this season after collecting 13 in the series opener on Saturday.
- Allyson Babinsack (5-5) took the loss allowing five runs (four earned) on four hits, two walks and three strikeouts in five innings of work.
- Dorgan went 2-for-3 with two RBI.
- Oakes recorded a game-high three RBI while adding one hit and one run scored.
- Price scored two runs and had one hit.
- Helton, Wright, Hussey and Brittany Case each collected one hit.
- Helton, Wright and Hussey all contributed one RBI.
- Kennedy Hickey led the Lady Pirates with two hits in two plate appearances.
- Watts finished with one hit and one RBI.
- USC Upstate hosts its final midweek games of the season on Wednesday, April 3, welcoming Western Carolina to Cyrill Stadium for a doubleheader beginning at 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).