Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team combined for 25 runs on Saturday afternoon as the Spartans opened a three-game Big South series against the Hampton Lady Pirates sweeping a doubleheader at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 25-10 on the season and 7-4 in Big South play while Hampton falls to 18-10 overall and 3-5 in the conference.
The Spartans swept the series-opening doubleheader by scores of 15-0 and 10-1. Both games lasted five innings.
GAME ONE – HAMPTON 0, USC UPSTATE 15 (5)
- Bottom 1st – USC Upstate scored two unearned runs in the first inning when Sarah Price and Brittany Case both crossed home plate after a Lady Pirate throwing error. Price led off the game with a walk and Case followed with an infield single.
- Bottom 3rd – The Spartans extended their lead to 6-0 after recording four runs. Alicia Dorgan highlighted the inning with her two-RBI double to right center field allowing Case and Megan Obier to score. Case began the scoring with her RBI single to left field while Obier added an RBI single down the left field line.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate broke the game open scoring nine times to go ahead 15-0. The Spartans hit three home runs in the inning from Obier, Kayla Hussey and Alyssa Oakes. It was the team-leading 12th home run of the season for Oakes while Obier hit her third and Hussey her first. Hussey led off the inning with a solo home run to left center field and Oakes followed three batters later with a three-run homer to right center field. Following a walk to Case, Obier hit a two-run home run to left field. Price, Kristen Wright and Ashlyn Wallace also recorded one RBI in the inning.
- Christina Biggerstaff (15-3) earned the win pitching a complete game shutout and allowed just one base runner while striking out 13.
- Biggerstaff struck out double-digit batters for the fourth time this season and began the game by striking out the first 10 batters she faced.
- Allyson Babinsack (5-4) took the loss allowing 10 runs (eight earned) on nine hits, three walks and three strikeouts in three innings of work.
- Price, Oakes, Case, Obier, Dorgan and Makenna Helton all had a team-high two hits for USC Upstate.
- Oakes and Obier both drove in a team-leading three RBI.
- Dorgan contributed two RBI.
- Hussey, Wallace and Riley Sheehy contributed one hit and one RBI.
- Wright, Case and Price tallied one RBI.
- Price and Case scored a game-high three runs.
- Dasha Hill had the only hit for Hampton.
GAME TWO – HAMPTON 1, USC UPSTATE 10 (5)
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans recorded three runs to take an early 3-0 lead. Case started the scoring with her RBI single to left field and Obier added an RBI single down the left field line. Savannah Grigsby contributed an RBI bases loaded walk.
- Bottom 2nd – USC Upstate increased its lead to 4-0 on an RBI double to left center field by Case.
- Top 3rd – The Lady Pirates cut their deficit down to 4-1 after an RBI single from Taylor Warrick.
- Bottom 3rd – The Spartans responded by scoring six times to make the score 10-1. Oakes plated two runs with her RBI single to left center field. Hussey, Price, Helton and Dorgan each compiled one RBI in the inning. Hussey and Price began the scoring with their RBI singles and Helton followed with an RBI groundout. Dorgan added an RBI single.
- Erin Hill (9-7) picked up the win pitching all five innings and surrendered one run (none earned) on three hits, no walks and four strikeouts.
- Allie Hotetz (8-5) suffered the loss throwing four innings and gave up 10 runs on 12 hits, four walks and no strikeouts.
- Case reached a career milestone in the doubleheader finale becoming the 11th player in school history to record 200 hits.
- Case is the fifth player in the Division I era to accomplish the feat joining Shellie Robinson, Karla Beasley, Kim Brasil and Ericka Harris.
- Dorgan went 3-for-3 to lead USC Upstate offensively with one RBI and one run scored.
- Case added a 2-for-3 performance with two RBI and one run scored.
- Oakes collected two RBI and two runs scored.
- Price, Helton, Grigsby and Hussey each had one hit and one RBI.
- Warrick went 2-for-2 with one RBI for Hampton.
- The Spartans and Lady Pirates conclude their three-game series on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).