Farmville, Va. – The USC Upstate softball team closed out a three-game series with the Longwood Lancers on Sunday falling 2-1 in 15 innings at Lancer Field in a game televised on ESPNU.
USC Upstate falls to 23-10 on the season and 5-4 in Big South play while Longwood improves to 17-11 overall and 5-1 in the conference.
- Top 1st – Brittany Case put the Spartans ahead 1-0 with two outs on her RBI infield single. Sarah Price scored from second base on Case's single after starting the game with a single to center field and then stole second.
- Bottom 4th – The Lancers tied the game at 1-1 on Karleigh Donvan's RBI sacrifice fly to left field.
- Bottom 15th – Kaylynn Batten won the game for Longwood on her walk off home run to center field and made the final score 2-1.
- Tonight marked the longest game for USC Upstate in the Division I era at 15 innings.
- Christina Biggerstaff (14-3) suffered the loss throwing 14.2 innings and gave up two runs on eight hits, four walks and six strikeouts.
- Sydney Backstrom (7-6) earned the win in relief throwing four scoreless innings and allowed one hit, one walk and two strikeouts.
- Kristen Wright led the Spartans offensively with two hits.
- Price, Case, Megan Obier, Madison Lanoux and Savannah Grigsby each collected one hit.
- Case recorded one RBI.
- Batten and Jordan Clark had two hits apiece for the Lancers.
- Batten and Donovan contributed one RBI.
- USC Upstate is back at Cyrill Stadium this weekend, March 30-31, to host Hampton in a three-game conference series.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).