Farmville, Va. – The USC Upstate softball team opened a three-game Big South series at Longwood on Saturday afternoon dropping both games to the Lancers at Lancer Field.
USC Upstate falls to 23-9 on the season and 5-3 in league play while Longwood improves to 16-11 overall and 4-1 in the conference.
The Lancers swept the doubleheader by scores of 6-5 and 9-5.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 5, LONGWOOD 6
- Top 3rd – The Spartans struck first scoring four times to go ahead 4-0. USC Upstate loaded the bases with one out before Alyssa Oakes began the scoring on her RBI bases loaded walk. Megan Obier followed with an RBI single to left field and Brittany Case scored after Madison Lanoux reached on a catcher's interference. A Lancers throwing error allowed Oakes to score the final run of the inning.
- Bottom 3rd – Longwood cut its deficit down to 4-1 on Alexis Wayland's RBI sacrifice fly to left field.
- Top 4th – Makenna Helton hit her first home run at USC Upstate with two outs to center field and increased its lead to 5-1.
- Bottom 5th – Wayland's grand slam down the left field line tied the game for the Lancers at 5-5.
- Bottom 7th – Kaylynn Batten drove in the game-winning run on her RBI single down the left field line to give Longwood the 6-5 victory.
- Christina Biggerstaff (14-2) took the loss allowing six runs (five earned) on six hits, three walks and six strikeouts.
- Arleigh Wood (3-0) earned the win in relief throwing four innings and gave up one run on four hits, five walks and no strikeouts.
- Helton and Oakes led the Spartans offensively with two hits and one RBI each.
- Obier contributed one hit and one RBI.
- Alicia Dorgan and Kristen Wright both collected one hit.
- Wayland finished the game with two hits and five RBI for the Lancers.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 5, LONGWOOD 9
- Bottom 1st – Longwood opened the game by scoring six times in the first to take a 6-0 lead over USC Upstate. Batten, Jordan Clark, Karleigh Donovan and Chelsea Whitcomb all recorded one RBI in the inning.
- Bottom 3rd – The Lancers extended their lead to 8-0 on an RBI sacrifice fly by Kasey Carr and Whitcomb's RBI single to left field.
- Bottom 4th – Jenna Dunn made it a 9-0 game for Longwood on her RBI groundout.
- Top 5th – The Spartans cut their deficit down to 9-2 highlighted by Case's RBI single to left field. Wright, who reached on a fielding error to begin the inning, scored the first run on a wild pitch.
- Top 6th – USC Upstate added one run in the sixth to put the score at 9-3. Obier, who led off the inning with a single, scored from third when Wright reached on a Lancer fielding error.
- Top 7th – The Spartans plated two more runs to make the final score 9-5. Case crossed home plate for the first run on a throwing error after Obier singled to center field. Lanoux followed by driving in Riley Sheehy, pinch-running for Oakes after getting hit by a pitch, on her RBI sacrifice fly to center field.
- Erin Hill (8-7) suffered the loss pitching two-thirds of an inning and surrendered five runs (three earned) on four hits, no walks and no strikeouts.
- Celina Sullivan tossed 5.1 innings of relief and gave up four runs (three earned) on five hits, three walks and one strikeout.
- Sydney Backstrom (6-6) picked up the win after throwing six innings and allowed two runs (one earned) on five hits, two walks and nine strikeouts.
- Case and Obier recorded two hits apiece.
- Case and Lanoux both tallied one RBI.
- Wright, Sarah Price, Marisa Soterakis and Savannah Grigsby each had one hit.
- Donovan posted a game-high three hits while Whitcomb drove in two RBI.
- USC Upstate closes out its three-game series with the Lancers on Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. on ESPNU.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).