Charleston, S.C. – Sarah Brown's RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning lifted the Charleston Southern Buccaneers to a 5-4 victory over the USC Upstate softball team in the finale of a three-game Big South series on Wednesday afternoon at the CSU Softball Field.
USC Upstate falls to 23-7 on the season and 5-1 in conference play while Charleston Southern improves to 9-25 overall and 3-3 in the league.
- Top 1st – The Spartans took an early 2-0 lead after Makenna Helton and Megan Obier recorded a pair of RBI singles. Helton began the scoring with her RBI single to center field and allowed Sarah Price to score after her leadoff triple to right field. Brittany Case, who followed Helton with a single, came home on Obier's RBI single to left field.
- Bottom 2nd – Rhiana Hubbard and Nina Del Rio tied the score for the Buccaneers at 2-2 as Hubbard recorded an RBI double and Del Rio an RBI ground out.
- Top 3rd – USC Upstate responded with a single run to go ahead 3-2. Alicia Dorgan put the Spartans in front with her RBI single to center field and drove in Savannah Grigsby. Grigsby entered the game to pinch-run for Alyssa Oakes following her walk.
- Bottom 4th – Charleston Southern added two more runs on RBI's from Meghan Gagliano and Annie Bakenhus to take a 4-3 lead.
- Top 7th – Obier's second RBI of the game evened the score at 4-4 when her sacrifice fly to center field plated Case. Case started the inning with a single to left field.
- Bottom 7th – Brown drove in the game-winning run on her RBI single to center field to make the final score 5-4.
- Erin Hill (8-6) suffered the loss in relief throwing 4.2 innings and allowed three runs (two earned) on seven hits, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Arizona Pilgrim (6-13) picked up the win pitching a complete game and gave up four runs on nine hits, four walks and two strikeouts.
- Oakes tied the school's single-game record for walks with four.
- Price and Case both compiled a team-leading two hits in four plate appearances.
- Case scored a team-high two runs.
- Obier collected a team-best two RBI.
- Helton and Dorgan both contributed one RBI each.
- Brown finished the game 4-for-4 for the Buccaneers with two runs scored and one RBI.
- The Spartans travel to Longwood this weekend, March 23-24, for a three-game conference series.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).