Charleston, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team continued its unbeaten streak to start Big South Conference play on Tuesday earning a doubleheader sweep of the Charleston Southern Buccaneers at the CSU Softball Complex.
USC Upstate improves to 23-6 on the season and 5-0 in conference play while Charleston Southern falls to 8-25 overall and 2-3 in the league.
The Spartans won both games of the doubleheader by scores of 1-0 and 6-1.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 1, CHARLESTON SOUTHERN 0
- Top 1st – Alyssa Oakes put USC Upstate ahead 1-0 in the top of the first on her RBI sacrifice fly to right field. Sarah Price scored on the sacrifice fly after leading off the game with a double to left center field and then stole third base.
- Christina Biggerstaff (14-1) increased her scoreless streak to 23.0 consecutive innings after picking up the win throwing a complete game shutout and surrendered three hits and five walks while registering five strikeouts.
- Arizona Pilgrim (5-13) took the loss allowing one run on two hits, nine walks and two strikeouts in a complete game effort.
- The season-high nine walks recorded by the Spartans are the most in a game since March 25, 2018 when they also drew nine walks at Lipscomb.
- Price led USC Upstate offensively with two hits, including a double, in four plate appearances.
- Oakes had the game's only RBI.
- Three different Buccaneers finished with one hit each.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 6, CHARLESTON SOUTHERN 1
- Top 4th – Oakes hit her team-leading 10th home run of the season as the solo blast to left field put the Spartans ahead 1-0.
- Top 5th – USC Upstate broke the game open scoring five times, highlighted by Oakes' grand slam to right center field, to take a 6-0 lead. Brittany Case began the scoring the previous at-bat with her RBI single to center field bringing home Savannah Grigsby. The grand slam was Oakes' second homer of the game and 11th this year.
- Bottom 6th – Charleston Southern cut its deficit down to 6-1 on an RBI single by Sarah Brown.
- Erin Hill (8-5) secured the win throwing a complete game and gave up one run on eight hits and one walk while tying her career-high of seven strikeouts for the second time in three outings.
- Holly Clark (2-9) suffered the loss pitching 4.1 innings and surrendered five runs (four earned) on six hits, one walk and three strikeouts.
- Oakes tied for the team-lead with two hits and scored a game-high two runs while driving in five RBI.
- It is the second time this season that Oakes has recorded five or more RBI in a game.
- Madison Lanoux and Alicia Dorgan both collected two hits.
- Case added one hit, one run scored and one RBI.
- Brown had two hits for the Buccaneers along with Jade Gandara and Caitlyn Emberson.
- Brown finished the game with one RBI.
- The Spartans close out their three-game series with Charleston Southern on Wednesday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).