Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team scored six runs in the bottom of the fifth inning on Sunday to complete a three-game sweep in Big South play with a 9-1 victory over the Presbyterian Blue Hose in five innings at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 21-6 on the season and 3-0 in conference play while Presbyterian falls to 7-19-2 overall and 0-3 in the league.
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans struck first for three runs in the bottom of the first to go ahead 3-0. Brittany Case started the scoring with her RBI single to center field that plated Sarah Price. Madison Lanoux then drove in Makenna Helton on her RBI sacrifice fly to left field. Case came home on Megan Obier's RBI single to right field.
- Top 5th – The Blue Hose cut their deficit down to 3-1 in the fifth when Casey Gerhard was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
- Bottom 5th – USC Upstate answered with six runs to secure the 9-1 victory. Kayla Hussey highlighted the inning with her two-RBI double to left center field as Obier and Savannah Grigsby crossed home plate. Lanoux drove in the first run of the inning on her RBI single that dropped inside the left field foul line. Helton followed Hussey's double with an RBI bases loaded walk. Case brought in the game-winning run on her RBI single into the right center field gap.
- Christina Biggerstaff (13-1) increased her scoreless streak to 16.0 consecutive innings on Sunday picking up the win throwing four scoreless innings and allowed two hits, no walks and three strikeouts.
- Erin Hill (4) tied the school single-season record for saves throwing one inning and gave up one run (none earned) on two hits, no walks and three strikeouts.
- Alyssa Batastini (5-13) took the loss surrendering seven runs (five earned) on six hits, four walks and two strikeouts.
- Case recorded her 11th multi-hit and fifth multi-RBI game this season after going 2-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Obier also went 2-for-3 at the plate with two RBI and one run scored.
- Lanoux and Hussey both contributed one hit and two RBI.
- Helton collected one RBI and two runs scored.
- Jonnie Petree had two hits to lead Presbyterian offensively.
- Gerhard added one hit and one RBI.
- The Spartans continue conference play this week, March 19-20, traveling to Charleston Southern for a three-game series.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).