Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team hit a total of four home runs on Saturday, while the pitching staff surrendered just two hits and no runs, as it opened its first-ever Big South Conference series with a doubleheader sweep of the Presbyterian Blue Hose at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 20-6 overall and 2-0 in the Big South while Presbyterian falls to 7-18-2 on the season and 0-2 in conference play.
The Spartans defeated the Blue Hose by scores of 11-0 in five innings during game one and 8-0 in six innings in game two.
GAME ONE – PRESBYTERIAN 0, USC UPSTATE 11 (5)
- Bottom 1st – USC Upstate scored seven runs after sending 14 batters to the plate in the first. Alyssa Oakes began the scoring with her two-RBI single to left field and Alicia Dorgan followed with an RBI bases loaded walk. Kayla Hussey added a two-RBI single to left center field the next at-bat and Sarah Price also drew an RBI bases loaded walk. Brittany Case brought in the final run on her RBI walk with the bases loaded.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans added to their lead at 9-0 scoring twice on Hussey's RBI sacrifice bunt and an RBI infield single by Kristen Wright.
- Bottom 3rd – Oakes hit her eighth home run of the season, a solo blast, in the third to make the score 10-0.
- Bottom 4th – Madison Lanoux increased the lead to 11-0 to start the bottom of the fourth hitting her first career home run at USC Upstate to center field.
- Christina Biggerstaff (12-1) picked up the win throwing a complete game shutout and surrendered just one hit, two walks and eight strikeouts.
- Alyssa Batastini (5-12) took the loss allowing seven runs (four earned) on five hits, one walk and one strikeout in one-third of an inning pitched.
- Lanoux had a career-high three hits and three runs scored in three plate appearances while registering one RBI.
- Hussey tied her career-high of three RBI.
- Oakes also recorded three RBI to tie Hussey for the team-lead.
- Price, Case, Dorgan and Wright all had one RBI.
- Kiley Kross collected the only hit for Presbyterian.
GAME TWO – PRESBYTERIAN 0, USC UPSTATE 8 (6)
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans struck for four runs in the first to go ahead 4-0. Oakes brought in three of the runs on a three-run homer, her team-leading ninth of the season, over the scoreboard in left field. Dorgan added an RBI single to right field.
- Bottom 3rd – USC Upstate added two more runs in the third to push its lead out to 6-0. Case contributed the first run of the inning hitting her third home run of the season on a solo blast to right center field to lead off the frame. Savannah Grigsby, pinch-running for Oakes, stole home as Riley Miller, who ran for Lanoux, was caught in a rundown between first and second.
- Bottom 4th – Case made it a 7-0 game with one out on her RBI groundout to second base allowing Wright to score from third base.
- Bottom 6th – Case compiled her third RBI of the game with no outs as her RBI single to left center field scored Price and gave the Spartans the 8-0 victory.
- Erin Hill (7-5) tied her career-high of seven strikeouts to earn the win pitching all six innings and gave up one hit and one walk.
- Taylor Ward (2-5) suffered the loss throwing five innings and allowed eight runs on 11 hits, three walks and no strikeouts.
- USC Upstate recorded double-digit hits for the fifth time this season after finishing with 11.
- Price equaled her career-high of three hits to lead the Spartans offensively.
- Case and Oakes both had a team-high three RBI.
- Case finished with two hits along with Dorgan and Makenna Helton.
- Dorgan also drove in one run.
- Ansley Wilbanks had one hit for the Blue Hose.
- The Spartans close out their three-game series with Presbyterian on Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).