Jacksonville, Fla. – The USC Upstate softball team closed out a six-game road trip on Wednesday evening splitting a non-conference doubleheader with the Jacksonville Dolphins at the Debbie & Fred Pruitt Softball Complex.
USC Upstate is now 18-6 on the season while the Dolphins are 12-13 overall.
The Spartans won the first game 4-0 and Jacksonville earned a 3-2 victory in game two.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 4, JACKSONVILLE 0
- Top 1st – USC Upstate jumped out to an early 3-0 lead scoring on RBI base hits from Brittany Case, Alyssa Oakes and Megan Obier. Case started the scoring driving in Makenna Helton, who doubled the previous at-bat. Case then scored on Oakes' single and Obier followed two batters later with a double.
- Top 6th – Kristen Wright extended the Spartans lead to 4-0 on her RBI single to right center field. Riley Sheehy, who was pinch-running for Alicia Dorgan after she walked, scored from second on the base hit.
- Christina Biggerstaff (11-1) picked up the win throwing a complete game shutout while striking out nine on seven hits and four walks.
- Haley Holloway (2-3) suffered the loss allowing four runs on nine hits, three walks and two strikeouts in seven innings of work.
- Helton led USC Upstate offensively with three hits in four plate appearances.
- Case and Obier both collected two hits.
- Case, Obier, Oakes and Wright all contributed one RBI.
- Kassidy Cross had a team-high three hits for the Dolphins.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 2, JACKSONVILLE 3
- Top 3rd – Case and Oakes gave the Spartans a 2-0 lead as Case recorded an RBI triple to left center field and Oakes an RBI sacrifice fly to center field. Helton reached on a fielding error and scored on Case's triple. Case then came home on Oakes' sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 4th – Jacksonville cut its deficit down to 2-1 when Holloway reached on a fielding error with one out.
- Bottom 5th – The Dolphins tied the game at 2-2 after Carolyn O'Neal drove in Seana Mora on a USC Upstate error.
- Bottom 6th – Cross put Jacksonville ahead 3-2 on her two-out RBI single to center field.
- Erin Hill (6-5) took the loss pitching six innings and gave up three runs (one earned) on eight hits, two walks and three strikeouts.
- Alyssa Bilodeau (6-5) received the win after tossing a complete game while surrendering two runs (none earned) on three hits, three walks and seven strikeouts.
- Case posted a team-high three hits and contributed one RBI.
- Oakes also had one RBI.
- Cross recorded three hits for the Dolphins and collected one RBI.
- The Spartans host Presbyterian this weekend, March 16-17, at Cyrill Stadium in their first-ever Big South Conference series.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).