Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team closed out play at The USF-Clearwater Parks and Recreation Showcase Tournament on Sunday by defeating the Eastern Illinois Panthers and Colgate Raiders in two games from the Eddie C. Moore Complex.
USC Upstate improves to 17-5 on the season while the Panthers fall to 5-16 overall and Raiders 7-8.
The Spartans defeated Eastern Illinois 8-0 in five innings and Colgate 3-2.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 8, EASTERN ILLINOIS 0 (5)
- Top 2nd – A pair of RBI doubles from Kristen Wright and Brittany Case gave USC Upstate a 2-0 lead. Wright started the scoring with her two-out RBI double to left field and Case added a RBI double to right field two batters later.
- Top 3rd – The Spartans broke the game open scoring three times to increase their lead to 5-0. Wright was responsible for two runs on her two-RBI single to center field. Makenna Helton, who reached on a one-out single, scored the first run of the inning after coming home on a passed ball.
- Top 4th – Alyssa Oakes scored on a passed ball and put USC Upstate ahead 6-0. Oakes reached on a one-out walk and advanced to third on a double by Helton.
- Top 5th – The Spartans made the score 8-0 in the fifth after Wright and Savannah Grigsby crossed home plate on a Panther fielding error. Wright reached on an infield single and Grigsby pinch-ran for Kayla Hussey after her infield single.
- Christina Biggerstaff (10-1) received the win after pitching a complete game shutout and gave up just two hits on no walks and eight strikeouts.
- Jade Montgomery (1-10) suffered the loss allowing five runs (four earned) on seven hits, two walks and two strikeouts in 2.1 innings of work.
- Case, Helton and Wright all had a team-high two hits.
- Wright drove in a game-high three RBI and scored twice.
- Tayler Wullenweber and Lexi Smith collected the only two hits for Eastern Illinois.
GAME TWO – COLGATE 2, USC UPSTATE 3
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans struck for three runs to take a 3-0 lead. Wright began the scoring with her RBI single to right field and Sarah Price followed the next at-bat with another RBI single to right field. Case later drew a bases loaded walk.
- Top 6th – The Raiders cut the lead down to 3-1 when Lauren La Terra hit a solo home run to left field.
- Top 7th – Mia Guevarra led off the inning with a solo home run to left field to make the score 3-2.
- Erin Hill (6-4) picked up the win pitching five scoreless innings and allowed six hits on no walks and five strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff (1) earned the save tossing two innings and gave up two runs on two hits, no walks and three strikeouts.
- Jessica Hay (3-3) took the loss surrendering three runs (two earned) on six hits, three walks and no strikeouts.
- Six different USC Upstate batters collected one hit apiece in Price, Wright, Helton, Hussey, Megan Obier and Alicia Dorgan.
- Price, Case and Wright each had one RBI.
- Dorgan, Elisa Cecchetti and Riley Sheehy scored one run.
- La Terra and Virginia Irby had two hits for Colgate.
- La Terra and Guevarra both recorded one RBI.
- The Spartans remain on the road Wednesday afternoon traveling to Jacksonville for a doubleheader beginning at 5 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).