Clearwater, Fla. – The USC Upstate softball team began play at The USF-Clearwater Parks and Recreation Showcase Tournament on Saturday dropping a pair of games to the 17th-ranked Indiana Hoosiers and St. John's Red Storm at the Eddie C. Moore Complex.
USC Upstate falls to 15-5 on the season while Indiana improves to 20-2 overall and St. John's 8-10.
The Spartans fell by scores of 6-4 to Indiana and 10-8 in eight innings versus St. John's.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 4, #17 INDIANA 6
- Top 1st – Megan Obier gave USC Upstate an early 1-0 lead with her RBI sacrifice fly to right field. Sarah Price, who led off the game with a walk, scored from third after a single from Brittany Case and sacrifice bunt by Madison Lanoux.
- Bottom 1st – Annika Baez drove in three runs on her double to give the Hoosiers a 3-1 lead.
- Bottom 2nd – Indiana extended its lead to 4-1 on an RBI sacrifice fly by Katie Lacefield.
- Bottom 4th – The Hoosiers made it a 6-1 game scoring twice highlighted by an RBI single from Lacefield.
- Top 5th – The Spartans cut their deficit to 6-2 with one out on an RBI sacrifice fly from Elisa Cecchetti. Makenna Helton scored from third after leading off the inning with a single to center field and moved to third on a single by Price and walk to Lanoux.
- Top 7th – Cecchetti plated two more runs in the top of the seventh after hitting a two-run homer to left field. It was the second home run of the season for Cecchetti. Lanoux scored on the home run after drawing a walk the previous at-bat.
- Erin Hill (5-4) suffered the loss giving up six runs (three earned) on five hits, two walks and three strikeouts in four innings of work.
- Tara Trainer (15-1) picked up the win throwing four innings and surrendered one run on three hits, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Natalie Foor (1) earned the save pitching three innings of relief and allowed three runs on four hits, two walks and four strikeouts.
- USC Upstate had seven players register one hit apiece in Price, Case, Cecchetti, Obier, Helton, Bree Comer and Kayla Hussey.
- Cecchetti recorded a team-high three RBI while Obier contributed one.
- Tete Hart had a team-leading two hits for Indiana.
- Baez posted three RBI and Lacefield contributed two.
GAME TWO – ST. JOHN'S 10, USC UPSTATE 8 (8)
- Bottom 3rd – Price started the inning with a triple to left center field and came home the following at-bat on Case's RBI single to center field.
- Top 4th – The Red Storm answered with four runs to take a 4-1 lead. Gretchen Bowie plated two runs on her two-RBI single while Natalie Giroux and Amelia Ditolvo added one RBI each.
- Top 5th – Giroux added her second RBI of the game on a single and put St. John's ahead 5-1.
- Top 6th – Bowie made it a 6-1 game with no outs on her RBI triple.
- Bottom 6th – The Spartans responded with six runs and took a 7-6 lead in the contest. USC Upstate hit two home runs over the first four batters from Cecchetti and Celina Sullivan. Cecchetti hit a solo home run (her 3rd of the season) and Sullivan followed with a two-run homer (her 1st of the season). Obier then plated two more runs with her triple down the right field line and later scored on Alyssa Oakes' RBI single to center field.
- Top 7th – The Red Storm took the lead back at 8-7 on a two-RBI single by Laura Delgado.
- Bottom 7th – Alicia Dorgan evened the score with her second home run of the season, a solo blast, to left field.
- Top 8th – St. John's went ahead 10-8 scoring twice on RBI singles from Marissa Rizzi and Peyton Cody.
- Christina Biggerstaff (9-1) suffered the loss giving up eight runs (seven earned) on 10 hits, five walks and six strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Angela Saric (2-4) picked up the win in relief pitching 2.2 innings and allowed one run on four hits, no walks and no strikeouts.
- Price and Case had a team-leading three hits each for USC Upstate.
- Obier and Sullivan both had two RBI.
- Price and Dorgan each scored two runs.
- Cody collected three hits for the Red Storm while Bowie recorded three RBI.
- The Spartans close out The USF-Clearwater Parks and Recreation Showcase Tournament on Sunday with two games against Eastern Illinois (9 a.m.) and Colgate (1:45 p.m.).
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).