Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team, highlighted by the second career perfect game from Christina Biggerstaff, swept the East Tennessee State Buccaneers in a non-conference doubleheader on Wednesday afternoon at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate defeated East Tennessee State by scores of 8-0 in five innings during game one and 3-0 in game two.
The Spartans improve to 15-3 on the season while the Buccaneers fall to 10-7-2 overall.
GAME ONE – ETSU 0, USC UPSTATE 8 (5)
- Bottom 1st – Madison Lanoux gave USC Upstate the early 1-0 lead with her RBI single to right field that scored Sarah Price. Price led off the inning with a walk and went to third on back-to-back groundouts by Kristen Wright and Brittany Case.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans broke the game open courtesy of a four-run inning to increase their lead to 5-0. Makenna Helton began the scoring with her RBI single to center field allowing Riley Sheehy, pinch-running for Alicia Dorgan, to come home. An RBI sacrifice bunt from Price drove in both Helton and Megan Obier, who had singled earlier in the inning. Wright followed with an RBI single to center field as Price crossed home plate.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate secured the victory scoring three more times in the fourth to make the score 8-0. Case highlighted the inning with her two-run home run to left center field. Wright was responsible for the first run on her RBI double to left field. Price, who reached on a single the previous at-bat, scored from second on Wright's double.
- Biggerstaff (9-0) faced the minimum through five innings of work and struck out six to pick up the win.
- It is the second perfect game for Biggerstaff in her Spartan career. She threw a perfect game on February 27, 2018 against Presbyterian at Cyrill Stadium.
- Biggerstaff threw the fifth perfect game in program history and fourth in the Division I era.
- MacKenzie Dyson (3-2) took the loss pitching four innings and gave up eight runs (seven earned) on seven hits, one walk and no strikeouts.
- Wright had a team-high two hits for USC Upstate and contributed two RBI along with Case.
- Price, Lanoux and Helton each recorded one RBI.
- Price scored a game-high three runs.
GAME TWO – ETSU 0, USC UPSTATE 3
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans scored all three of their runs in the second inning highlighted by solo home runs from Obier and Alyssa Oakes. It was the team-leading seventh homer of the season for Oakes and second for Obier. Price contributed an RBI single to left field driving in Helton. Helton had reached on a two-out single to left center field.
- Erin Hill (5-3) earned the win pitching a complete game shutout and gave up just two hits while tying her career-high of seven strikeouts. Hill also had seven strikeouts last weekend at ninth-ranked LSU.
- Kelly Schmidt (4-4) suffered the loss surrendering three runs on eight hits, two walks and no strikeouts in six innings of work.
- USC Upstate had a total of eight players register one hit apiece in the contest.
- Price, Oakes and Obier had a team-best one RBI apiece.
- Oakes, Obier and Helton each scored one run.
- Lauren Lee had a team-high two hits in three plate appearances for East Tennessee State.
- The Spartans head to Clearwater, Fla. this weekend, March 9-10, to face Indiana, St. John's, Eastern Illinois and Colgate in The USF-Clearwater Parks and Recreation Showcase Tournament.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).