Baton Rouge, La. – The USC Upstate softball team concluded play at the Purple & Gold Challenge on Saturday splitting two games against the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks and Indiana Hoosiers at LSU's Tiger Park.
USC Upstate is now 13-3 on the season while Stephen F. Austin is 12-7 overall and Indiana 16-1.
The Spartans began the day by defeating Stephen F. Austin 3-0 before falling to Indiana 2-0.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 3, STEPHEN F. AUSTIN 0
- Top 3rd – Brittany Case gave USC Upstate a 2-0 lead with two outs on her two-RBI single down the left field line. Savannah Grigsby and Makenna Helton both scored on the base hit. Grigsby was pinch-running for Kayla Hussey, who led off the inning with a single, while Helton followed with a walk.
- Top 7th – Elisa Cecchetti extended the Spartans lead to 3-0 on her leadoff home run down the left field line. It was the first home run of the season for Cecchetti.
- Christina Biggerstaff (8-0) went the distance for USC Upstate pitching seven scoreless innings and allowed four hits on no walks to go with eight strikeouts.
- Kassidy Wilbur (7-5) took the loss allowing three runs on four hits, one walk and six strikeouts in seven innings of work.
- Case, Cecchetti, Hussey and Sarah Price all had one hit apiece for the Spartans.
- Case recorded a game-high two RBI while Cecchetti added one.
- Madison Clements led Stephen F. Austin offensively going 2-for-3 at the plate.
GAME TWO - #15 INDIANA 2, USC UPSTATE 0
- Top 3rd – Grayson Radcliffe gave the Hoosiers a 1-0 lead with two outs on an RBI double to right field.
- Top 6th – Camryn Woodall extended Indiana's lead to 2-0 with her two-out RBI sacrifice fly to center field.
- Tara Trainer (11-1) earned the win pitching a complete game and did not allow a run on four hits, one walk and seven strikeouts.
- Erin Hill (4-3) suffered the loss allowing two runs on six hits, three walks and one strikeout in a complete game effort.
- Alyssa Oakes led USC Upstate at the plate with a 2-for-3 performance.
- Case and Megan Obier each had one hit.
- Bella Norton recorded a team-high two hits for the Hoosiers while Radcliffe and Woodall both compiled one RBI.
- The Spartans return to Cyrill Stadium on Wednesday afternoon to host East Tennessee State in a doubleheader beginning at 2:30 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).