Baton Rouge, La. – The USC Upstate softball team began play at the Purple & Gold Challenge on Friday splitting a pair of games against the Illinois State Redbirds and ninth-ranked LSU Tigers from Tiger Park.
USC Upstate defeated Illinois State in game one 3-0 before falling to LSU 2-0 in game two.
The Spartans are now 12-2 on the season while Illinois State is 4-13 overall and LSU 15-3.
GAME ONE – ILLINOIS STATE 0, USC UPSTATE 3
- Bottom 1st – USC Upstate struck for two runs with two outs to take an early 2-0 lead. Alyssa Oakes started the scoring with her RBI single to right field that brought home Sarah Price, who led off the inning with a single. Oakes later scored on an RBI single to right field by Alicia Dorgan.
- Bottom 5th – Brittany Case extended the Spartans lead to 3-0 with two outs after her RBI double to left center field. Makenna Helton scored on the double from second base after starting the inning with a single to left field.
- Christina Biggerstaff (7-0) went the distance to pick up the win not allowing a run on three hits, one walk and seven strikeouts.
- Ali Domkuski (2-2) suffered the loss giving up three runs on seven hits, no walks and four strikeouts.
- Case went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead USC Upstate offensively to go with one RBI.
- Price, Oakes, Helton and Madison Lanoux each had one hit.
- Oakes and Dorgan both collected one RBI.
- Price, Oakes and Helton all scored one run.
- Andrea Coursey, Ellie Weltha and Taylor Vanderpool recorded one hit apiece for the Redbirds.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 0, #9 LSU 2
- Bottom 3rd – The Tigers took a 1-0 lead with one out on an RBI sacrifice fly to center field by Amanda Doyle.
- Bottom 5th – LSU extended its lead to 2-0 when Amber Serrett was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
- Erin Hill (4-2) suffered the loss throwing six innings and struck out a career-high seven while giving up two runs (one earned) on five hits and five walks.
- Shelby Wickersham (5-1) picked up the win with a complete game and allowed four hits on one walk and two strikeouts.
- Lanoux had a team-leading two hits in three plate appearances for the Spartans.
- Case and Obier both contributed one hit.
- Doyle and Serrett each posted one RBI for the Tigers.
- Five different LSU hitters had one hit in the game.
- USC Upstate closes out play at the Purple & Gold Challenge on Saturday when it faces Stephen F. Austin at 10:30 a.m. and No. 15 Indiana at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).