Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team improved its winning streak to eight games on Wednesday evening as the Spartans scored twice in the bottom of the sixth inning to defeat the Duke Blue Devils 3-1 at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 11-1 on the season while Duke falls to 6-10 overall.
- Top 1st – Jameson Kavel gave the Blue Devils an early 1-0 lead on her solo home run to center field.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans answered with a single run to tie the score at 1-1. Madison Lanoux drove in Savannah Grigsby with her RBI single to center field. Grigsby was pinch-running for Alyssa Oakes who had reached on an error to start the inning.
- Bottom 6th – USC Upstate scored two runs with one out to take a 3-1 lead. Brittany Case plated Makenna Helton, who reached on a lead off infield single, on her RBI sacrifice fly to left field. Sarah Price advanced to third on the sacrifice fly and scored on a Duke throwing error.
- Erin Hill (4-1) earned the win in relief throwing two scoreless innings and allowed two hits while striking out one.
- Christina Biggerstaff started the game for the Spartans and went five innings giving up one run on two hits, three walks and six strikeouts.
- Amelia Wiercioch (1-3) suffered the loss surrendering three runs (one earned) on three hits, no walks and four strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Price, Lanoux and Helton all registered one hit apiece for USC Upstate.
- Lanoux and Case both collected one RBI.
- Price, Grigsby and Helton each scored one run.
- Rachel Abboud led the Blue Devils with two hits while Kavel had one RBI.
- The Spartans are on the road for the first time this season traveling to Baton Rouge, La. to face Illinois State, LSU, Stephen F. Austin and Indiana in the Purple & Gold Challenge.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).