Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate pitching staff limited Robert Morris to just one run combined over two games on Monday as the Spartans swept the Colonials in a doubleheader from Cyrill Stadium on the final day of the Wings Etc. Classic.
USC Upstate improves to 10-1 on the season while Robert Morris falls to 2-6 overall.
The Spartans won the games by scores of 5-1 and 8-0 in six innings.
GAME ONE – ROBERT MORRIS 1, USC UPSTATE 5
- Bottom 1st – Alyssa Oakes homered for the third time at the Wings Etc. Classic giving the Spartans a 2-0 lead on her two-run blast to center field. Kristen Wright, who singled two batters earlier, scored on the homer.
- Bottom 2nd – Alicia Dorgan led off the inning with a triple to right field and then came home on an RBI sacrifice fly to right field by Sarah Price.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate added two more runs to extend its lead to 5-0. Dorgan started the scoring with her first home run of the season to center field. Price later added an RBI single that scored Makenna Helton, who singled the previous at-bat and then stole second base.
- Top 5th – The Colonials cut the score down to 5-1 on a two-out RBI fielder's choice.
- Erin Hill (3-1) earned the win throwing a complete game and allowed one run on three hits, one walk and five strikeouts.
- Katie Gasvoda (0-1) took the loss giving up five runs on nine hits, no walks and three strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Oakes, Dorgan and Helton all had two hits to lead the Spartans offensively.
- Price and Oakes both had a team-high two RBI.
- Dorgan scored a game-high two runs.
- Abrielle McCartney, Madison Riggle and Bridget Guiney each had one hit for Robert Morris while Natalie Higgins had one RBI.
GAME TWO – ROBERT MORRIS 0, USC UPSTATE 8 (6)
- Bottom 1st – Oakes and Brittany Case posted RBI's in back-to-back at bats to give USC Upstate an early 2-0 lead. Case got things started with her RBI groundout and Oakes followed with a solo home run, her fourth of the tournament, to left center field.
- Bottom 4th – The Spartans broke the game open courtesy of a five-run inning to increase their lead to 7-0. Helton, Wright and Megan Obier all had RBI's in the frame. Obier began the scoring with an RBI groundout and Helton contributed an RBI single to center field. Wright also had an RBI single to center field.
- Bottom 6th – Price sealed the 8-0 win for USC Upstate with her two-out RBI double to right center field. Helton, who singled the prior at bat, scored from second base.
- Christina Biggerstaff (6-0) threw a complete game shutout and surrendered just one hit and struck out seven while not allowing a walk.
- Laura Coulter (0-3) took the loss pitching 5.2 innings and gave up eight runs (six earned) on 10 hits, two walks and one strikeout.
- Price and Helton both had a team-best three hits and two runs scored.
- Price, Wright, Case, Oakes, Obier and Helton all contributed one RBI.
- The Spartans registered double-digit hits for the third time this season after posting 10.
- Bridget Guiney had the only hit for the Colonials.
- USC Upstate remains at Cyrill Stadium on Wednesday afternoon to host Duke at 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).