Spartanburg, S.C. – Alyssa Oakes drove in 10 runs on Sunday afternoon, while Christina Biggerstaff threw her second no-hitter of the season, as the USC Upstate softball team began the Wings Etc. Classic with a doubleheader sweep of the N.C. Central Eagles and Robert Morris Colonials at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 8-1 on the season while N.C. Central falls to 2-7 overall and Robert Morris 2-4.
The Spartans won both of their games in five innings defeating the Eagles 14-0 and Colonials 8-0
GAME ONE – N.C. CENTRAL 0, USC UPSTATE 14 (5)
- Bottom 1st – USC Upstate struck for three runs to lead 3-0 early. Oakes was responsible for all three runs after hitting her team-leading third home run of the season over the center field fence.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans scored five more times to extend their lead to 8-0. Sarah Price started the scoring with her two-RBI double to right center field and Brittany Case followed with an RBI groundout. Megan Obier plated two after hitting her first home run of the season to left field.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate made it a 14-0 game in its half of the fifth after crossing the plate six times. Oakes plated the first three runs with her bases loaded double to right center field. Bree Comer and Tori Glines each collected RBI singles with two outs.
- The Spartans scored a season-high 14 runs in the victory.
- Celina Sullivan (1-0) picked up her first career win at USC Upstate throwing a complete game shutout and gave up just two hits on no walks and one strikeout.
- Francheska Steins (0-1) took the loss allowing 13 runs on seven hits, five walks and no strikeouts in 3.1 innings of work.
- Oakes finished the game 2-for-2 at the plate with two runs scored and a career-high six RBI.
- Makenna Helton also went 2-for-2 with two runs scored.
- Price scored a career-high three runs and contributed two RBI.
- Obier added two runs scored and two RBI.
- Case had one RBI and one run scored.
- Comer and Glines both collected their first career hits and RBI as a Spartan.
- Marisa Soterakis also collected her first career hit.
- Madison Mifsud and Aleyah Evans had the only two hits for N.C. Central.
GAME TWO – ROBERT MORRIS 0, USC UPSTATE 8 (5)
- Bottom 1st – Oakes brought in the game's first run with her RBI single to right field and later scored when Obier reached on a throwing error with two outs.
- Bottom 3rd – Oakes hit her second three-run homer of the day, and fourth overall of the season, to center field to increase USC Upstate's lead out to 5-0.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans sealed the 8-0 victory scoring three more times in the fifth. Madison Lanoux drove in the first two runs of the inning on her two-RBI double to left field. Alicia Dorgan ended the game with one out on her RBI single to center field.
- USC Upstate recorded double-digit hits in a game for the second time this season after posting 11.
- Biggerstaff (5-0) allowed just two baserunners and struck out double-digit batters for the third time this year with 11.
- Biggerstaff has now thrown two no-hitters this season and three in her career as a Spartan.
- Dana Vatakis (1-2) suffered the loss pitching four innings and surrendered seven runs (six earned) on nine hits, no walks and two strikeouts.
- Oakes went 3-for-3 in game two with two runs scored and four more RBI.
- Lanoux contributed two hits and two RBI in three plate appearances.
- Dorgan posted two hits and one RBI.
- Case and Kristen Wright both registered two hits and two runs scored.
- Riley Sheehy also scored one run.
- USC Upstate closes out the Wings Etc. Classic on Monday hosting Robert Morris in a doubleheader beginning at 10 a.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).