Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team scored four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning on Saturday evening and held on for a 4-2 victory over the Connecticut Huskies at Cyrill Stadium in the final game of the Upstate Classic.
The win marked a career milestone for head coach Chris Hawkins as he recorded his 900th career victory at USC Upstate.
The Spartans improve to 6-1 on the season while Connecticut falls to 3-5 overall.
- Top 2nd – Devon Casazza put the Huskies ahead 2-0 with one-out on her two-run homer to center field.
- Bottom 5th – USC Upstate struck for four runs, highlighted by two RBI from Megan Obier, to go ahead 4-2. Madison Lanoux got the scoring started for the Spartans with her RBI fielder's choice and Brittany Case tied the game with her RBI sacrifice fly to center field. Obier plated Alyssa Oakes and Kristen Wright with a two-RBI double to left field on a 0-2 pitch.
- Hawkins becomes just the 60th coach in NCAA softball history to achieve 900 career wins.
- Christina Biggerstaff (4-0) earned the win pitching five innings and gave up two runs on two hits, three walks and five strikeouts.
- Erin Hill (3) secured the save tossing two scoreless innings of relief and allowed one hit while striking out three.
- Jill Stockley (1-3) suffered the loss surrendering four runs on six hits, two walks and two strikeouts in 4.2 innings of work.
- Obier finished the game going 2-for-3 at the plate and led the team with two RBI.
- Makenna Helton also went 2-for-3 with one run scored.
- Case and Lanoux both had one RBI while Case and Sarah Price contributed one hit apiece.
- Casazza went 1-for-3 for Connecticut with two RBI and one run scored.
- USC Upstate hosts N.C. Central and Robert Morris next weekend, February 23-24, in the Wings Etc. Classic.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).