Spartanburg, S.C. – Brittany Case collected three hits and three RBI, including a go-ahead home run, to lead the USC Upstate softball team to a sweep of the Bowling Green Falcons and Connecticut Huskies on Friday during the opening day of the Upstate Classic at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 5-1 on the season while Bowling Green falls to 0-2 and Connecticut 3-3.
The Spartans defeated the Falcons 4-2 before scoring late to win 3-2 over the Huskies.
GAME ONE – BOWLING GREEN 2, USC UPSTATE 4
- Bottom 2nd – Sarah Price drove in both runs for USC Upstate in a two-run second inning as Kayla Hussey and Riley Miller both scored on her single to center field. Miller pinch-ran for Alicia Dorgan who led off the inning with an infield single while Hussey singled to right field.
- Top 4th – Bowling Green cut its deficit down to 2-1 following a Spartan passed ball.
- Bottom 5th – Case was responsible for both runs in the frame to extend USC Upstate's lead to 4-1. She began the scoring with her RBI double to right field that scored Riley Sheehy, pinch-running for Alyssa Oakes after her double. Case then scored after back-to-back wild pitches.
- Top 7th – Kellie Natham made the score 4-2 with her pinch-hit home run to left field with one out.
- Christina Biggerstaff (3-0) earned the win after allowing one run (none earned) on two hits, two walks and 11 strikeouts in 4.2 innings of work.
- Biggerstaff recorded her second double-digit strikeout performance of the season and ninth of her Spartan career.
- Erin Hill pitched the final 2.1 innings and allowed one run on three hits, no walks and two strikeouts.
- Meredith Miller (0-1) suffered the loss surrendering four runs on seven hits, one walk and four strikeouts in five innings of work.
- Kristen Wright led USC Upstate with a 3-for-3 performance at the plate.
- Price drove in a game-high two RBI while Case had one.
- Natham compiled one hit and one RBI for the Falcons.
GAME TWO – CONNECTICUT 2, USC UPSTATE 3
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans struck for two runs in the first to take a 2-0 lead. Case got the scoring started with her RBI double to right center field, driving in Price who began the inning with a single. Case later came home on Megan Obier's RBI infield single.
- Top 2nd – Connecticut responded with two runs of its own to tie the score at 2-2 on a two-RBI double from Briana Marcelino.
- Bottom 6th – Case put USC Upstate back in the lead 3-2 after hitting the first pitch of the inning over the left center field fence for her first home run of the season.
- Hill (2-1) earned the win in relief throwing two scoreless innings and gave up one hit and two walks.
- Spartan starter Celina Sullivan went five innings and allowed two runs on two hits, six walks and four strikeouts.
- Marybeth Olson (1-1) took the loss giving up three runs on five hits, one walk and four strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Case finished the game going 2-for-2 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Obier added one hit and one RBI.
- Price and Makenna Helton both had one hit.
- Marcelino led the Huskies with two hits and two RBI.
- USC Upstate closes out the Upstate Classic with two games on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. against Boston and 5 p.m. versus Connecticut.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).