Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team closed out play at the Spartan Classic on Sunday afternoon splitting a doubleheader with the Miami (OH) RedHawks and East Carolina Pirates from Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate's record now sits at 3-1 on the season while Miami (OH) is 2-3 and East Carolina 4-1.
The Spartans defeated the RedHawks in game one 3-1 before falling in the finale 3-1 to the Pirates.
GAME ONE – MIAMI (OH) 1, USC UPSTATE 3
- Bottom 4th – Brittany Case broke a scoreless tie in the fourth with her RBI double to left center field. Alyssa Oakes scored from first on the hit after reaching the previous at-bat on a fielder's choice.
- Bottom 6th – Alicia Dorgan extended USC Upstate's lead to 3-0 on her two-RBI single to right field that drove in Case and Elisa Cecchetti. Case and Cecchetti both reached on back-to-back singles.
- Top 7th – Miami (OH) recorded three straight hits to start the seventh capped by an RBI single to left field by Ashton Slone.
- Christina Biggerstaff (2-0) continued her impressive start to the season picking up the win after allowing just one run on four hits, one walk and seven strikeouts in six innings of work.
- Biggerstaff did not allow a hit over the first 3.2 innings of the game and increased her streak to start the year to 10.2 innings while not surrendering a run in 13 consecutive innings.
- Erin Hill (1) picked up the save after retiring three straight batters with no outs and runners on first and second in the top of the seventh.
- Brianna Pratt (1-2) took the loss pitching 5.2 innings and gave up two runs on six hits, two walks and eight strikeouts.
- Case, Dorgan and Kristen Wright each had a team-high two hits for the Spartans.
- Dorgan contributed two RBI and Case one.
- Johniann Wahl collected two hits for the RedHawks while Slone contributed one RBI.
GAME TWO – EAST CAROLINA 3, USC UPSTATE 1
- Top 1st – East Carolina struck first for a single run in the first to take a 1-0 lead on Logan Wood's RBI single to left center field.
- Bottom 1st – USC Upstate answered with a run of its own to tie the score at 1-1 on an RBI infield single by Oakes. Sarah Price came home on the base hit after starting the inning with a single and then stole second and third base.
- Top 7th – The Pirates broke the 1-1 tie in the top-half of the seventh on a double to right field by Ashley Weingartz and an RBI groundout by Courtney Layton.
- Hill (1-1) suffered the loss throwing a complete game and allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits, one walk and four strikeouts.
- Erin Poepping (3-0) picked up the win with a complete game and surrendered one run on four hits, one walk and seven strikeouts.
- Price, Dorgan, Oakes and Kayla Hussey all had one hit apiece for the Spartans.
- Oakes added one RBI.
- Weingartz recorded a game-high two hits and tallied one RBI along with Wood and Layton.
- USC Upstate remains at Cyrill Stadium next weekend, February 15-17, to host Bowling Green, Boston, Connecticut and Virginia Tech in the Upstate Classic.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).