DeLand, Fla. – The USC Upstate softball team plated three runs in the top of the tenth inning and advances to the championship round of the ASUN Softball Championship after rallying back to defeat the second-seeded Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 6-3 on Friday evening in game nine from Patricia Wilson Field.
USC Upstate improves to 35-18 on the season while Florida Gulf Coast ends its season at 39-17.
- Top 2nd – The Spartans used a double steal from Megan Obier and Hannah Davis to take a 1-0 lead over the Eagles. Obier stole second base and the throw down allowed Davis to score from third.
- Bottom 2nd – Florida Gulf Coast answered back with two runs to go ahead 2-1 on an RBI bunt single by Haley Morrell and RBI single from Natalie Lopez.
- Top 4th – USC Upstate tied the game at 2-2 with two outs when Obier scored from third base on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 5th – FGCU used an RBI single by Racquel Fournet to go in front 3-2.
- Top 6th – Karla Beasley plated her first RBI of the game as her sacrifice fly to right field allowed Kendsey Chappelear to score and even the game at 3-3.
- Top 10th – The Spartans took the lead for good in the tenth at 6-3 scoring three times on RBI's from Beasley and Kristen Wright. Wright began the scoring with her RBI ground out to second base while Beasley broke the game open with her two-RBI double down the left field line.
- Christina Biggerstaff (18-10) earned the win in relief tossing five scoreless innings and gave up one hit and one walk while striking out five.
- USC Upstate starter Erin Hill threw five innings and allowed three runs (one earned) on five hits, one walk and one strikeout.
- Riley Randolph (18-7) suffered the loss pitching 4.2 innings of relief surrendering four runs on five hits, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Wright finished the game with two hits and one RBI.
- Beasley collected one hit and a game-high three RBI.
- Chappelear led USC Upstate offensively with three hits while scoring two runs.
- Morrell had two hits for the Eagles and added one RBI along with Lopez and Fournet.
- The Spartans will face top-seeded Kennesaw State for the first time ever in the ASUN Softball Championship Final game on Saturday afternoon with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).