DeLand, Fla. – Freshman Logan Morris turned in a career afternoon on Wednesday leading the third-seeded USC Upstate softball team to a 9-2 victory over the sixth-seed Stetson Hatters from Patricia Wilson Field in the opening game of the ASUN Softball Championship.
USC Upstate improves to 32-17 on the season while Stetson falls to 26-24 overall.
- Bottom 1st – Morris belted a three-run homer to left center field with one out to give the Spartans an early 3-0 lead. Ansley Gilstrap and Karla Beasley both walked and scored on the long ball by Morris.
- Top 3rd – The Hatters got on the board with two runs to cut the USC Upstate lead to 3-2. Molly McLaughlin plated the first run of the inning with an RBI groundout and Devin Lewis followed with an RBI sacrifice fly to right field.
- Bottom 3rd – Morris extended the Spartans lead to 4-2 with one out on her second home run of the day, a solo blast, to left center field.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate broke the game open with four more runs to go ahead 8-2. Kristen Wright plated Megan Obier for the first run of the inning with her RBI single to center field. Beasley added an RBI sacrifice fly to right field scoring Kendsey Chappelear. Morris collected two more RBI with her single up the middle that allowed Gilstrap and Wright to come home.
- Bottom 5th – The Spartans made it a 9-2 game in the fifth when Wright reached on a two-out error by Stetson and brought in Makenna Helton, pinch-running for Kayla Hussey after her leadoff single.
- Christina Biggerstaff (16-9) picked up the win in relief throwing four scoreless innings and gave up just one hit on two walks and six strikeouts.
- USC Upstate starter Erin Hill surrendered two runs on four hits, one walk and one strikeout over three innings of work.
- Jaime Tino (9-8) took the loss pitching one inning and allowed three runs on three hits, two walks and one strikeout.
- The Spartans extended their winning streak in the ASUN Softball Championship to 10 straight games over the past four tournaments with today's win.
- Morris set or tied two ASUN Softball Championship records with her two home runs and six RBI. She now has 45 RBI on the season which leads the conference.
- Morris also recorded new career-highs in home runs and RBI while her six runs driven in are tied for most in a game during the Division I era. She ties the mark held by former USC Upstate players Ryan Rector in 2016 at Lipscomb and Kendall Settlemyre in 2015 at Kennesaw State.
- It was the second multi-home run game turned in by a Spartan this season after Beasley had two in the season-opening doubleheader at Gardner-Webb on Feb. 8.
- Morris and Gilstrap both scored a team-high two runs.
- Hussey and Obier each went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Wright contributed one hit and RBI while Beasley posted one RBI and one run scored.
- Kasey Fava led the Hatters with two hits while McLaughlin and Lewis had one RBI apiece.
- USC Upstate faces No. 2 Florida Gulf Coast at 10 a.m. on Thursday morning.
- The Spartans won the regular season series against Eagles after taking two out of three in Spartanburg.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).