Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team fell in its final home game of the regular season on Wednesday evening as the Spartans dropped a 7-1 decision to the 13th-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 31-17 on the season while South Carolina improves to 38-11 overall.
- Top 3rd – Alyssa VanDerveer gave the Gamecocks a 1-0 lead in the third with her RBI double to left center field with no outs.
- Bottom 4th – Karla Beasley tied the game at 1-1 for the Spartans after hitting her team-leading 15th home run of the season to left center field.
- Top 5th – South Carolina homered three times in the fifth on solo home runs from VanDerveer, Cayla Drotar and Alyssa Kumiyama to go ahead 4-1.
- Top 6th – Tiara Duffy added to the Gamecocks lead at 5-1 following her solo home run to center field.
- Top 7th – Jana Johns made it a 7-1 game for South Carolina with her two-RBI double off the right field wall.
- Drotar (17-4) picked up the win allowing one run on two hits, no walks and no strikeouts in five innings of work.
- Christina Biggerstaff (15-9) took the loss pitching 4.1 innings and gave up four runs on eight hits, three walks and four strikeouts.
- The solo homer by Beasley was the 44th of her career and puts her two away from tying Stacey Berrong (1996-99) for second all-time in program history.
- Beasley had one hit, along with Logan Morris, and scored one run to lead USC Upstate offensively.
- Drotar, VanDerveer and Kumiyama each had two hits for the Gamecocks.
- VanDerveer and Johns both drove in two runs apiece.
- The Spartans conclude their regular season tomorrow afternoon traveling to Johnson City, Tenn. for a doubleheader against East Tennessee State beginning at 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).