Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team fell in the finale of a three-game series to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles by a score of 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at Cyrill Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 24-13 on the season and 5-4 in league play while Florida Gulf Coast improves to 28-9 overall and 3-3 in the conference.
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans struck for two runs in the first and took an early 2-0 lead on a two-RBI double by Brittany Case. Ansley Gilstrap started the inning with a single and went to third on a groundout by Megan Obier. Karla Beasley followed with a walk and then stole second base. Gilstrap and Beasley both scored on Case's double down the left field line.
- Top 4th – The Eagles tied the game at 2-2 on a two-run homer to left field by Racquel Fournet.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate answered with a single run in its half of the fourth to take the lead back at 3-2. Kendsey Chappelear plated Tarynn Tirpak, pinch-running for Kayla Hussey, on a two-out RBI single to center field. Hussey reached two batters earlier on a single to right field and moved to second when Hannah Davis was hit by a pitch.
- Top 7th – Brittany McGuire gave Florida Gulf Coast a 4-3 lead with her two-run home run to left center field.
- Marissa Mesiemore (9-3) picked up the win in relief allowing no runs on no hits, no walks and no strikeouts in two-thirds of an inning pitched.
- Christina Biggerstaff (11-8) took the loss giving up four runs (three earned) on three hits, three walks and nine strikeouts in 6.2 innings of work.
- Taylor Bauman (14) earned the save throwing one scoreless inning and gave up one hit and one walk.
- Gilstrap led the Spartans offensively with two hits and one run scored.
- Case recorded a team-high two RBI while Chappelear added one RBI.
- Hussey and Chappelear both collected one hit while Beasley and Tirpak scored one run.
- Three different FGCU batters had one hit apiece.
- Fournet and McGuire both drove in two runs.
- USC Upstate starts a five-game road trip on Wednesday, April 4 traveling to Western Carolina for a doubleheader beginning at 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).