Nashville, Tenn. – Brittany Case had a game-high two RBI and Christina Biggerstaff struck out 11 as the USC Upstate softball team began a three-game series at Lipscomb defeating the Bisons 4-0 from Draper Diamond at Smith Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 20-9 on the season and 2-2 in conference play while Lipscomb falls to 18-8 overall and 0-1 in the league.
- Top 1st – Karla Beasley gave the Spartans an early 1-0 lead after hitting her team-leading eighth home run of the season, a solo blast, to left center field.
- Top 4th – Case extended USC Upstate's lead to 2-0 on her RBI single. Beasley led off the inning with a double to left field and scored from second on Case's single.
- Top 6th – Case drove in her second run of the game with two outs on an RBI single to center field and gave the Spartans a 3-0 lead. Beasley drew a leadoff walk and advanced to second on Megan Obier's groundout. She came home from second on Case's single.
- Top 7th – Elisa Cecchetti belted her second home run of the season to left field and extended USC Upstate's advantage to 4-0.
- Biggerstaff (9-5) picked up the win throwing her 11th complete game of the season and did not allow a run on three hits, four walks and 11 strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff recorded her fifth outing this season of not giving up a run and double-digit strikeouts.
- Mandy Jordan (11-1) suffered the loss surrendering four runs on seven hits, two walks and three strikeouts in seven innings of work.
- Case drove in two runs and had two hits along with Beasley and Kendsey Chappelear.
- Beasley set a new career-high with three runs scored and had one RBI.
- Cecchetti scored one run and added one RBI.
- Caitlin Turner, Abby Fenichel and Peyton Ward collected one hit each for the Bisons.
- The teams conclude their series on Sunday afternoon with a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).