Spartanburg, S.C. – Christina Biggerstaff recorded nine strikeouts and Logan Morris went 2-for-3 as the USC Upstate softball team won its 18th straight game on Sunday afternoon with a 5-0 victory over the Indiana Hoosiers at Cyrill Stadium to close out the Wings Etc. Classic.
USC Upstate improves to 18-0 on the season while Indiana falls to 3-15 overall.
- Bottom 1st – The Spartans walked three times in their half of the first to take a 1-0 lead. Brittany Case drew an RBI bases loaded walk as Ansley Gilstrap scored. Gilstrap led off the inning with a walk and went to third on a stolen base and single by Morris.
- Bottom 2nd – USC Upstate plated another run to increase its lead to 2-0. After the Hoosiers retired the first two batters, Gilstrap collected her second walk of the game and then stole second. Kristen Wright singled to left center field allowing Gilstrap to score.
- Bottom 4th – The Spartans made it a 3-0 game in the fourth after Morris was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. USC Upstate had three players reach with two outs as Gilstrap and Karla Beasley singled, and Wright walked. Gilstrap scored when Morris was hit by the pitch.
- Bottom 5th – Kendsey Chappelear and Elisa Cecchetti pushed the Spartans lead to 5-0 in the fifth with a pair of RBI's. Chappelear plated Case on her RBI double to left center field and Cecchetti drove in Chappelear with her RBI sacrifice fly to right field.
- Biggerstaff (8-0) collected her seventh complete game of the season after going the distance and did not allow a run on five hits, one walk and nine strikeouts.
- Biggerstaff improves her appearances giving up two runs or less to nine straight games and fourth with one run or less.
- Emily Goodin (1-2) took the loss throwing one-third of an inning and surrendered one run on no hits, two walks and no strikeouts.
- Morris led USC Upstate offensively with two hits and added one RBI.
- Gilstrap tied her career-high of three runs scored and tallied one hit.
- Wright, Case and Chappelear all posted one hit and one RBI.
- Cecchetti had one RBI and Beasley one hit.
- Rebecca Blitz paced the Hoosiers on offense with two hits in three plate appearances.
- The Spartans travel to Tucson, Ariz. next weekend, March 9-11, to face Wisconsin, South Dakota, Arizona and San Diego at the Wildcat Invitational.
Follow USC Upstate softball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateSoftball), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).