Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team began play at the USC Upstate/Furman Classic on Friday with a pair of victories over the Campbell Camels and Iona Gaels from Cyrill Stadium. The Spartans defeated Campbell 3-2 in eight innings before holding off Iona by a score of 3-1.
Upstate improves to 6-2 on the season, while Campbell fell to 4-3 overall and Iona is 0-2.
GAME ONE – CAMPBELL 2, USC UPSTATE 3 (8)
- Top 1st – The Camels scored twice to jump out to an early 2-0 lead over the Spartans. Campbell had back-to-back singles from Madison Herring and Rachel McCollum to start the game, and Herring later scored on an RBI single from Haydn Parker. Taesha Duboise drove home McCollum with her sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 1st – Karla Beasley evened the game for Upstate at 2-2 with one out on her first home run of the season, a two-run blast, to right center field.
- Bottom 8th – A throwing error by the Camels allowed Beasley to score from third on a fielder's choice from Ryan Rector and gave the Spartans the 3-2 win. Beasley began the inning at second base and advanced to third on a single by Abbie Millete.
- Lexi Shubert (3-1) earned the win after recording nine strikeouts for the third time this season. Shubert held Campbell to two runs on seven hits and three walks, and earned her fourth straight complete game after pitching all eight innings for the first time in her career.
- Holly Brooks (1-1) suffered the loss in relief giving up one run (none earned) on one hit after tossing one-third of an inning.
- Beasley was one of four Upstate players that had one hit along with Millete, Rector and Alicia Dorgan. Beasley also drove in a team-high two RBI.
- Parker and Duboise each had one RBI for the Camels.
- The win marked the second this season for the Spartans in walk off fashion. In game two of a season-opening sweep of Gardner-Webb, Ansley Gilstrap had the game-winning double in the bottom of the seventh.
- Bottom 5th – Upstate took a 3-0 lead after scoring the first runs of the game in its half of the fifth inning on RBI's from Gilstrap, Rector and Beasley. Gilstrap started the scoring with her RBI infield single and Rector followed the next at-bat with an RBI sacrifice fly to right field. Beasley added an RBI double that scored Gilstrap.
- Top 7th – Samantha Mello plated the only run of the game for the Gaels with two outs in the seventh on a passed ball from Holly McKinnon, making the score 3-1.
- McKinnon (3-1) tied her career-high as a Spartan with 12 strikeouts and limited Iona to just one run on three hits and three walks.
- Shubert (1) collected the fourth save of her career after coming on in relief of McKinnon with two outs in the top of the seventh. Shubert faced one batter and got Ashlyn Morris to fly out to Brittany Case in left field with the bases loaded.
- Marnie Skinner (0-1) took the loss after pitching six innings and allowed three runs on six hits, no walks and three strikeouts.
- Beasley led Upstate offensively with two hits, and had one RBI along with Gilstrap and Rector.
- Morris, Katie Newton and Hailey Thompson contributed one hit each for Iona.
- The Spartans host Georgetown and Colgate tomorrow afternoon on day two of the USC Upstate/Furman Classic.
- Upstate plays Georgetown at 1 p.m. and Colgate at 5 p.m.