Matthews, N.C. – The most successful season for the USC Upstate women's soccer team at the Division I level came to an end on Friday evening as the sixth-seeded Spartans fell 1-0 to the third seed Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs in the semifinals of the Big South Women's Soccer Championship at the Matthews Sportsplex.
USC Upstate finishes its season with an 11-9 overall record while Gardner-Webb improves to 12-4-4 on the season.
STATS OF THE GAME
- The Runnin' Bulldogs held a 19-12 advantage over the Spartans in shots.
- USC Upstate led 6-3 in attempts on goal.
- Both teams attempted three corner kicks.
- Abbie Ellis and Emma Honis led the Spartans offensively with three shots apiece including two on goal.
- Jada Newton scored one goal for Gardner-Webb while Erin Shamleffer contributed one assist.
- Stina Kleppe led all players with seven shots.
- Logan Pace concluded the game with two saves.
- Runnin' Bulldog goalie Keely Brown grabbed a total of six saves.
- Newton scored in the 86th minute to give Gardner-Webb a 1-0 lead. She scored off a deflection that was passed back to her from Shamleffer. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 1)
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).