Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's soccer team clinched its first-ever bid into the Big South Tournament on Saturday evening with a 2-0 victory over the Presbyterian College Blue Hose on Senior Night from County University Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 10-7 overall and 5-4 in the Big South while Presbyterian College falls to 7-8 on the season and 2-7 in conference play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- With the win over the Blue Hose, the Spartans have secured their first double-digit win total since 2004 when they went 12-2-3.
- USC Upstate held its Senior Night festivities prior to kick off as it honored Autumn Gore, Kayla Dean, Kate Winegarner, Emelie Valenciano and Isabella Burns.
- The Spartans held a 17-9 advantage over Presbyterian College in shots including 6-4 in attempts on goal.
- Both teams had seven corner kicks and four saves.
- Montanna Hill registered her fourth goal of the season while Jada Kinlaw contributed her second assist.
- Burns and Abbie Ellis had a team-high four shots.
- Isabelle Russell, Kori Lawrence and Kelsey Yeager all attempted two shots for the Blue Hose.
- Logan Pace collected her second straight shutout after finishing with four saves.
- PC goalie Megan Serrano grabbed a total of three saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- USC Upstate struck first in the 21st minute taking a 1-0 lead off an own goal. (Presbyterian College 0, USC Upstate 1)
- Kinlaw connected with Hill in the 52nd minute to give the Spartans a 2-0 lead. Hill received a pass from Kinlaw on the right side and scored past Serrano left side. (Presbyterian College 0, USC Upstate 2)
- USC Upstate closes out its regular season on Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 6 p.m. on the road against Campbell.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).