Spartanburg, S.C. – Abbie Ellis converted on her third penalty kick this season to lead the USC Upstate women's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over the UNC Asheville Bulldogs in Big South action Wednesday evening from County University Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 9-7 overall and 4-4 in the Big South while UNC Asheville falls to 3-7-4 on the season and 2-4-2 in conference play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans defense limited the Bulldogs to just one shot in the contest as USC Upstate held a 23-1 advantage overall including 11-0 in attempts on goal.
- UNC Asheville did not attempt its first shot of the game until the 74th minute.
- The Spartans also led 10-1 in corner kicks.
- Ellis recorded her team-leading 14th goal of the season and led USC Upstate offensively with six shots highlighted by three on goal.
- Ellis now has 20 goals in her career to go with 48 points. She moves into second place all-time as a Spartan for career points and sits four away from tying Thea Moen. Her 20 career goals also ties her for second all-time with Dawn Soule.
- Maura Coolbaugh had the only shot for the Bulldogs.
- Logan Pace earned the win in goal after collecting her first career shutout.
- UNC Asheville goalie Courtney O'Malley grabbed a total of 10 saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Ellis scored on the penalty kick following a Bulldog foul just inside the 18-yard box as the game was entering the 53rd minute. (UNC Asheville 0, USC Upstate 1)
- USC Upstate plays its final home game of the regular season on Saturday evening when it hosts Presbyterian College at 7 p.m. on Senior Night.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).