Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's soccer team closed out non-conference play on Tuesday evening in convincing fashion scoring a season-high six goals en route to a 6-1 win over the South Carolina State Bulldogs at County University Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 8-6 on the season while South Carolina State falls to 0-9-1 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a 23-4 advantage over the Bulldogs in shots including 16-2 in attempts on goal.
- USC Upstate also led 11-2 in corner kicks.
- Abbie Ellis registered her fourth multi-goal game of the season, and third in the last four games, leading the Spartans offensively with two goals on four shots.
- Ellis scored her team-leading 11th and 12th goals of the season and is now six away from tying Thea Moen's record of 18 set in 2001.
- Jada Kinlaw scored her sixth goal of the season while Isabella Burns contributed her fifth goal and third assist.
- Burns tied Ellis with four shots and three attempts on goal.
- Kate Winegarner and Madison Pollard each scored their first goals of the season. For Pollard, it was the first of her collegiate career.
- Montanna Hill added her team-leading fourth assist of the year while Megan Hines collected her first.
- Jamey Thomas scored once for South Carolina State while Brandy Vaca added one assist.
- Justine Zepeda led the team with two shots.
- Logan Pace earned her first collegiate win in goal after finishing with one save.
- Bulldog goalie Taylor Brittingham grabbed 10 saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Ellis scored her first goal of the game in the 10th minute off the assist from Hill, scoring from outside the 18-yard box right side. (S.C. State 0, USC Upstate 1)
- Kinlaw made it 2-0 in favor of USC Upstate in the 31st minute off the assist from Burns. (S.C. State 0, USC Upstate 2)
- Burns scored unassisted in the 47th minute from the left side of the field inside near post. (S.C. State 1, USC Upstate 3)
- Ellis added her second goal of the contest in the 54th minute with her blast from the center of the 18-yard box to the left of Brittingham. (S.C. State 1, USC Upstate 4)
- Winegarner added to the Spartans lead in the 64th minute scoring unassisted. (S.C. State 1, USC Upstate 5)
- Pollard capped the scoring for USC Upstate in the 84th minute as Hines was credited with the assist. (S.C. State 1, USC Upstate 6)
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE GOALS
- Thomas trimmed the Spartans lead down to one goal in the 43rd minute scoring off a corner kick from Vaca. (S.C. State 1, USC Upstate 2)
- USC Upstate travels to Radford on Saturday evening for a 7 p.m. kickoff.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).