Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's soccer team scored three times in the final 10 minutes on Wednesday evening to rally from one goal down to earn a 4-2 win over the Winthrop Eagles in Big South action from County University Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate sets a new Division I record for wins in a season after improving to 7-5 overall and 3-2 in the Big South. With the loss, Winthrop drops to 7-4-1 on the season and 3-2 in conference play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans held a 14-10 advantage over the Eagles in shots and 8-3 in attempts on goal.
- USC Upstate also led 5-3 in corner kicks.
- Abbie Ellis recorded her second straight multi-goal game, and third of the season, leading the Spartans offensively with two goals on six shots. Ellis scored her team-leading ninth and tenth goals of the season.
- Ellis is now tied with Faiza Boujaafar (2003) and Venice Williams (2003) for the second-most goals in a season in school history. She is the first USC Upstate player since 2003 to score double-digit goals in a season.
- Montanna Hill netted her third goal of the season and Emma Honis her second.
- Hill and Isabella Burns both tallied one assist each.
- Allie Thomas and Brianna Palmer scored one goal apiece for Winthrop.
- Dylan Patterson added one assist.
- Madison McNally earned the win in goal after grabbing one save.
- Eagle goalie Kelly Horan finished the game with four saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Ellis tied the game for the Spartans in the 29th minute after stealing a pass on Winthrop's side of the field. She dribbled outside the 18-yard box and scored right side past Horan. (Winthrop 1, USC Upstate 1)
- Ellis evened the game again in the 81st minute scoring in front of the net off Burns' cross inside the 18-yard box near side. (Winthrop 2, USC Upstate 2)
- Hill scored the game-winning goal in the 84th minute when her attempted cross sailed over the head of Horan into the net near side. (Winthrop 2, USC Upstate 3)
- Honis extended USC Upstate's lead to two goals in the 89th minute off a through ball from Hill. (Winthrop 2, USC Upstate 4)
- Thomas gave the Eagles a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute with her penalty kick. (Winthrop 1, USC Upstate 0)
- Palmer put Winthrop back in the lead during the 33rd minute with Patterson receiving the assist. Palmer attempted the cross the ball to the back post but went over the head of McNally into the left corner of the net. (Winthrop 2, USC Upstate 1)
- The Spartans remain at home on Saturday afternoon to host Longwood in conference play at 2 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).