Hampton, Va. – The USC Upstate women's soccer team scored three times within the opening 10 minutes of play on Sunday afternoon as the Spartans won their second straight Big South contest, 3-0, over the Hampton Pirates at the Hampton Soccer Complex.
USC Upstate improves to 6-5 overall and 1-2 in the Big South while Hampton falls to 1-5-1 on the season and 0-2-1 in conference play. With the win, the Spartans match their Division I single-season record for wins.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Abbie Ellis recorded her second multi-goal game of the season scoring twice to lead USC Upstate offensively along with a team-high six shots. Ellis collected her seventh and eighth goals of the season.
- Emma Honis scored her first goal of the season.
- Montanna Hill dished out two assists in the contest while Emelie Valenciano added one.
- Four different Pirates attempted one shot apiece.
- Madison McNally recorded her second straight shutout after finishing with three saves.
- Hampton goalie Maya Andrews grabbed six saves.
- The Spartans held a 12-4 advantage in shots and 3-1 in corner kicks.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Ellis scored her first goal of the game in the 4th minute off an assist from Valenciano. (USC Upstate 1, Hampton 0)
- Honis followed in the 8th minute giving USC Upstate a 2-0 lead after the feed from Hill. (USC Upstate 2, Hampton 0)
- Ellis added her second goal within a 10-minute stretch in the 10th minute with Hill receiving her second assist in two minutes. (USC Upstate 3, Hampton 0)
- The Spartans return to County University Soccer Stadium on Wednesday, Oct. 3 when they host league-leading Winthrop at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).