Boiling Springs, N.C. – Jada Kinlaw recorded her fifth goal of the season on Wednesday evening as the USC Upstate women's soccer team began Big South Conference play with a 3-1 loss to the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs at Greene-Harbison Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 4-4 on the season and 0-1 in league play while Gardner-Webb improves to 4-3-2 overall and 1-0 in the conference.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Runnin' Bulldogs held a 16-14 advantage in shots including a 5-4 mark in attempts on goal.
- Gardner-Webb also led 3-2 in saves.
- The Spartans attempted five corner kicks while the Runnin' Bulldogs took four.
- Kinlaw led USC Upstate offensively with her goal and took a team-leading nine shots.
- Kinlaw also had a team-best two attempts on goal.
- Emelie Valenciano dished out her second assist of the season.
- Samuelle Grove, Jada Newton and Maddi Turlington all scored for the Runnin' Bulldogs.
- Alisha Holcombe, Stina Kleppe and Kayla Curatolo each contributed one assist.
- Kleppe had a team-high six shots and was one of five players with one attempt on goal.
- Samantha Munyon grabbed two saves for the Spartans.
- GWU goalies Keely Brown and Katelyn Kellogg combined for three saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Kinlaw cut USC Upstate's deficit to one in the 36th minute as Valenciano was credited with the assist. (USC Upstate 1, Gardner-Webb 2)
- Gardner-Webb struck first in the 12th minute after Grove scored off a corner kick from Kleppe. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 1)
- Newton scored off a deflection in the 19th minute as the Runnin' Bulldogs increased their lead to two goals. (USC Upstate 0, Gardner-Webb 2)
- Turlington followed the Spartans goal with her own in the 37th minute after a corner kick by Curatolo. (USC Upstate 1, Gardner-Webb 3)
- USC Upstate travels to High Point on Saturday afternoon for a 2 p.m. kickoff.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).