Spartanburg, S.C. – Abbie Ellis scored her team-leading sixth goal of the season on Friday evening as the USC Upstate women's soccer team dropped a 2-1 decision to the Wofford Terriers in non-conference play at Snyder Field.
USC Upstate falls to 4-3 on the season while Wofford improves to 2-4-1 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- For the second straight game, the Spartans attempted a total of 24 shots including 11 on goal.
- USC Upstate held a 24-14 advantage in shots and 11-4 in attempts on goal.
- The Spartans also led 11-4 in corner kicks.
- Delaney Bussey took a team-high five shots and four attempts on goal.
- Ellis tied her career-high for goals in a season after scoring her sixth of the year.
- Hayley Younginer had a team-leading five shots for the Terriers.
- Emma Fletcher and Dani Segovia both scored while Fletcher added an assist.
- Samantha Munyon finished the game with two saves.
- Wofford goalie Maria Mon grabbed 10 saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Ellis quickly put USC Upstate ahead 1-0 in the second minute after scoring from close range on the right wing. (USC Upstate 1, Wofford 0)
- Fletcher tied the game for the Terriers at 1-1 in the 21st minute after her shot from the top of the 18-yard box. (USC Upstate 1, Wofford 1)
- Segovia scored the game-winner for Wofford in the 81st minute off an assist from Fletcher. (USC Upstate 1, Wofford 2)
- The Spartans are off until Saturday, Sept. 15 when they open conference play on the road against Campbell at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).