Spartanburg, S.C. – Isabel Hodgson's header in the 19th minute lifted the East Tennessee State Buccaneers to a 1-0 victory over the USC Upstate women's soccer team in non-conference action on Thursday evening at County University Soccer Stadium.
East Tennessee State improves to 1-4 overall while USC Upstate drops to 3-2 on the season.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Both teams attempted a total of 10 shots each in the contest while the Spartans held a 6-4 advantage in attempts on goal.
- The Buccaneers led 5-4 in corner kicks and 6-3 in saves.
- Emma Honis and Emelie Valenciano led USC Upstate offensively with three shots apiece with all three for Honis going on goal.
- Hodgson attempted a team-high three shots for East Tennessee State.
- Samantha Munyon collected three saves.
- ETSU's Lea Ann Cutshall grabbed a total of six saves.
EAST TENNESSEE STATE GOALS
- Hodgson's header gave the Buccaneers a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute off a corner kick far side. Fiona Dodge took the corner kick and lofted the ball into the 18-yard box where Elena Pisani headed it towards the goal. Hodgson followed with her header into the top-left corner of the net. (East Tennessee State 1, USC Upstate 0)
- The Spartans remain at County University Soccer Stadium on Sunday afternoon as they host Delaware State at 1 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).