Box Score (.pdf)
Huntsville, Ala. – Abbie Ellis and Emelie Valenciano both registered a goal for the USC Upstate women's soccer team on Monday afternoon as the Spartans won their second straight game with a 2-0 victory over the Alabama A&M Bulldogs at Bulldog Field.
USC Upstate improves to 3-1 on the season while Alabama A&M falls to 0-4 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Ellis continued her impressive start to the year by scoring her team-leading fourth goal of the season.
- Valenciano picked up her first goal of the year and now gives the Spartans a total of six different players who have scored a goal this season.
- Katerine Gonzalez dished out her first assist of the year and second of her career.
- Samantha Munyon compiled her third shutout this season, and sixth of her career, after finishing the game with three saves.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Ellis put USC Upstate ahead 1-0 in the 15th minute after connecting on her second penalty kick of the season. She was fouled inside the penalty box after receiving a cross from Emma Honis. (USC Upstate 1, Alabama A&M 0)
- Valenciano extended the Spartans lead to 2-0 in the 75th minute off a pass from Gonzalez. Gonzalez laid the ball out in the open space and Valenciano converted on the one-timer from 25 yards away. (USC Upstate 2, Alabama A&M 0)
- USC Upstate returns to County University Soccer Stadium on Thursday evening and hosts East Tennessee State at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).