Davidson, N.C. – The USC Upstate women's soccer team rallied from two goals down in the final 20 minutes to force overtime on Monday evening, but the Davidson Wildcats scored the game-winning goal in the 95th minute to earn a 3-2 victory over the Spartans at Alumni Stadium.
USC Upstate falls to 1-1 on the season while Davidson improves to 1-1 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Wildcats held a 12-9 advantage over the Spartans in shots including an 8-5 mark in attempts on goal.
- Davidson also led 5-1 in corner kicks.
- USC Upstate posted a 5-3 lead in saves.
- Abbie Ellis recorded her team-leading third goal of the season while Isabella Burns added her second.
- Ellis also dished out her team-high third assist of the year on Burns' goal.
- Ellis and Montanna Hill attempted a team-best three shots for the Spartans while Burns contributed two.
- The Wildcats received goals from Cameron France, Natalie Connell and Alexis Pheng.
- France, Connell and Seeley Yoo all took three shots apiece for the home team.
- Samantha Munyon finished the game with a season-high five saves.
- Mary Grace Bunch tallied three saves for Davidson.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Burns cut USC Upstate's deficit down to 2-1 in the 74th minute after receiving a pass from Ellis and scored far post. (USC Upstate 1, Davidson 2)
- Ellis evened the game in the 79th minute converting on a penalty kick. (USC Upstate 2, Davidson 2)
- France scored the game's first goal with a header in the 26th minute off a corner kick from Perry Zollicoffer. (USC Upstate 0, Davidson 1)
- Connell put the Wildcats in front by two goals in the 41st minute after gaining possession and scoring off a clear by the Spartan defense. (USC Upstate 0, Davidson 2)
- Pheng scored the game-winner for Davidson in the 95th minute off a corner kick by Zollicoffer. (USC Upstate 2, Davidson 3)
- USC Upstate returns home on Friday, August 24 when it hosts North Greenville at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).