Spartanburg, S.C. – Abbie Ellis combined for all four of USC Upstate's goals on Friday evening as the junior scored two goals and added two assists to lead the USC Upstate women's soccer team to a 4-0 victory over the USC Beaufort Sand Sharks in the season opener at County University Soccer Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 1-0 on the season while USC Beaufort falls to 0-1.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans finished the game holding a 22-3 advantage over the Sand Sharks in shots, including a 9-1 mark in the first half and 13-2 in the second.
- USC Upstate also led 10-3 in corner kicks.
- Ellis led all players with two goals and two assists while attempting a game-high eight shots.
- Montanna Hill and Isabella Burns both scored for the Spartans. For Hill, it was the first of her career at USC Upstate.
- Kaylee Kumar, Allison Schaffer and Camilla Lazoski each took one shot for USC Beaufort.
- Samantha Munyon collected her fourth career shutout after grabbing one save.
- Logan Leask had eight saves for the Sand Sharks.
USC UPSTATE GOALS
- Burns got the game started for the Spartans in the 15th minute after scoring on the far side following Ellis' through ball. (USC Beaufort 0, USC Upstate 1)
- Ellis collected her first goal of the evening in the 26th minute on a free kick from 17 yards out. (USC Beaufort 0, USC Upstate 2)
- Hill gave USC Upstate a three-goal lead in the 58th minute after Ellis lofted her pass over the USC Beaufort defense and Hill scored far side. (USC Beaufort 0, USC Upstate 3)
- Ellis capped off the game with her second goal in the 63rd minute on another free kick, this time from 30 yards away. (USC Beaufort 0, USC Upstate 4)
- The Spartans hit the road for the first time season on Monday, August 20 traveling to Davidson for a 7 p.m. kickoff.
Follow USC Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).