Jacksonville, Fla. – Zoe Zinis' goal in the 94th minute gave the Jacksonville Dolphins a 2-1 overtime victory over USC Upstate in ASUN Conference women's soccer action on Tuesday afternoon at Southern Oak Stadium.
Jacksonville improves to 4-9-0 overall and 2-4-0 in league play while Upstate drops to 6-9-1 and 1-4-1.
Stats of the Match
- Upstate outshot Jacksonville 14-11 but Jacksonville led Upstate 5-2 in shots on goal.
- The Dolphins held a 7-3 edge in shots at halftime.
- Abbie Ellis led the Spartans with four shots followed by Isabella Burns with three. Emelie Valenciano and Tori Brown took two shots each.
- Sope Akindoju led the Dolphins with four shots.
- Brooke Bailey made three saves for Upstate.
- Brittany Hundley made one save for Jacksonville.
- The Spartans held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.
USC Upstate Goals
- Brown fed a ball inside the 6-yard box to Ellis, who beat the defender and touched the ball past Hundley to tie the contest in the 58th minute. The goal was Ellis' team-leading sixth of the season. (Jacksonville 1, USC Upstate 1)
- Akindoju scored the first goal of the match in the 23rd minute. Following a corner kick, Maya Fisher headed the ball to Akindoju, who netted her fifth goal of the season. (Jacksonville 1, USC Upstate 0)
- Zinis received a pass across the 18-yard box from Akindoju, spun around a Spartan defender and fired a shot that glanced off the fingertips of a diving Bailey and rolled into the right side of the goal at the 93:58 mark. (Jacksonville 2, USC Upstate 1)
- Upstate concludes the regular season Saturday at NJIT. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).