Jacksonville, Fla. – Jada Kinlaw's goal in the 85th minute broke a 1-1 tie as the USC Upstate women's soccer team earned a 2-1 victory over North Florida at Hodges Stadium in Friday night.
Upstate improves to 6-5-1 overall and 1-0-1 in the ASUN Conference while North Florida drops to 7-3 and 1-1 in league play.
Stats of the Match
- North Florida outshot Upstate 26-5 and 11-3 in shots on goal. The Ospreys attempted 13 shots in each half.
- Thais Reiss took a match-high six shots to lead North Florida. Kendall Pollock had a match-best three shots on goal.
- Abbie Ellis led Upstate with two shots. Kinlaw, Valenciano and Katerine Gonzalez each took one shot.
- Brooke Bailey made a season-high nine saves for Upstate. Additionally, the Spartans were credited with a team save.
- Rhiannon Conelley made one save for North Florida.
- North Florida held a 7-2 edge in corner kicks.
- Tonight's win is Upstate's first victory over North Florida in the Division I era and first since Oct. 9, 2004.
USC Upstate Goals
- Emelie Valenciano's second goal of the season in the 13th minute got the Spartans on the board. Valenciano finished a ball that came in from Leah Tyson inside the six-yard box as she beat Conelley to the left side. (USC Upstate 1, North Florida 0)
- Isabella Burns played in a cross to Kinlaw, who finished the ball near post for her second goal of the season in the 85th minute. (USC Upstate 2, North Florida 1)
North Florida Goals
- Reiss tied the match in the 64th minute as she dribbled through the Upstate defense and scored left side. (USC Upstate 1, North Florida 1)
- Upstate concludes its road trip Sunday against Jacksonville at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).