Kennesaw, Ga. – The USC Upstate and Kennesaw State women's soccer teams battled to a 1-1 tie in the ASUN Conference opener for both teams on Friday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium.
Kennesaw State is 5-3-3 overall and 0-0-1 in league play while Upstate is 4-5-1 and 0-0-1.
Stats of the Match
- Friday's match was Upstate's first overtime contest of 2017.
- Kennesaw State outshot Upstate 19-7 and held an 8-5 edge in shots on goal.
- Tori Brown and Isabella Burns led Upstate with two shots. Nicki Krejci, Abbie Ellis and Jada Kinlaw each attempted one shot.
- Ashtah Das, Jessica Sexton and Carly Pressgrove each had four shots for Kennesaw State.
- The Owls had six corner kicks while Upstate had four.
- Brooke Bailey made seven saves for Upstate.
- Tiffany Sornpao made four saves for Kennesaw State.
- Friday's result was the first tie to open ASUN Conference play for the Spartans since a 1-1 draw against Northern Kentucky on September 28, 2014.
USC Upstate Goals
- A ball played in off of an Abbie Ellis corner kick deflected off of a Kennesaw State defender and into the net with 34 seconds remaining in regulation. (USC Upstate 1, Kennesaw State 1)
Kennesaw State Goals
- Pressgrove scored the first goal of the match in the 87th minute as she headed in a ball that was sent into the box off of a Morgan Harrison corner kick. (USC Upstate 0, Kennesaw State 1)
- Upstate wraps up its non-conference schedule on Tuesday night at Bob Jones. Kickoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.
Follow Upstate women's soccer on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWSoccer), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).