Kiawah Island, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's golf team tied a school record round of 289 on Tuesday, led by Pan Paksanont who finished tied for 21st place out of 254 golfers, as the Spartans moved up two spots to finish in 11th place at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic from the par 72, 5964-yard Osprey Point Golf Club.
USC Upstate finished in front of 11 teams ranked higher in the latest Golfstat rankings. The Spartans fired a final round 289 and finished in 11th place out of 49 teams at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic, tabbed as the largest collegiate tournament in the country, at 890 (301-300-289).
Coastal Carolina and North Florida captured co-tournament championship honors at 1-over par 865. Sydney Shrader of North Florida captured individual medalist honors by one stroke at 9-under 207.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- The final round 289 posted by USC Upstate was tied for eighth-lowest of the day and tied for the program record set last season at the FAU Fall Invitational.
- The Spartans saw four of their five golfers compile scores of 74 or better highlighted by Paksanont's 1-under 71.
- Paksanont was the top individual performer for USC Upstate finishing in a tie for 21st place at 2-over par 218 (73-74-71).
- Brooke Hutto, Anna Chanthaphaeng and Beem Pabsimma all recorded their lowest rounds of the tournament on Tuesday. Hutto and Pabsimma finished with a 72 while Chanthaphaeng added a 74.
- Hutto tied for 45th place at 223 (75-76-72) and Chanthaphaeng tied for 107th with a 229 (80-75-74).
- Pabsimma set a new career-low score with her final round 72. She finished in a tie for 120th place with a combined score of 231 (84-75-72).
- Kathryn Elliott rounded out the individual standings for the Spartans tied for 131st position at 232 (73-79-80).
- USC Upstate compiled a 3.26 stroke average in par 3 scoring, 4.26 stroke average in par 4 scoring and 1-under, 4.98 stroke average in par 5 scoring.
- The Spartans added 155 pars and tied for seventh at the tournament with 38 birdies.
- USC Upstate also registered one eagle as Chanthaphaeng holed out from 70 yards away on the par 5 second hole.
- Hutto finished tied for fourth in par 3 scoring at 1-under par and a 2.92 stroke average.
- Paksanont led the Spartans in par 4 scoring (+2, 4.07 stroke average), par 5 scoring (-4, 4.69 stroke average) and pars (35).
- Paksanont and Hutto tied for the team-lead with nine birdies each.
- Pabsimma contributed eight birdies, and Elliott and Chanthaphaeng six apiece.
- T-1st Coastal Carolina 286-295-284=865
- T-1st North Florida 293-284-288=865
- 3rd Tulsa 290-299-283=872
- 4th Delaware 289-296-289=874
- 5th South Florida 291-300-284=875
- 6th College of Charleston 296-298-283=877
- 7th Youngstown State 293-297-288=878
- 8th College of Charleston (B) 291-294-297=882
- 9th Jacksonville 305-293-287=885
- 10th High Point 296-297-295=888
- 11th USC Upstate 301-300-289=890
- 12th Stetson 290-299-307=896
- T-13th UNC Greensboro 294-307-298=899
- T-13th Georgia Southern 304-300-295=899
- T-13th Jacksonville State 306-304-289=899
- 16th IUPUI 313-295-292=900
- T-17th Bethune-Cookman 298-307-299=904
- T-17th UT Arlington 309-300-295=904
- 19th Elon 303-298-304=905
- 20th Boston 304-304-298=906
- 21st Western Carolina 295-302-311=908
- 22nd Navy 303-311-299=913
- 23rd Quinnipiac 299-315-301=915
- T-24th Fairleigh Dickinson 311-306-299=916
- T-24th SCAD-Savannah 302-315-299=916
- 26th Wyoming 305-311-302=918
- T-27th UNC Asheville 307-307-306=920
- T-27th Presbyterian 309-312-299=920
- T-27th Indiana State 315-306-299=920
- 30th Charleston Southern 306-314-301=921
- T-31st Omaha 309-315-300=924
- T-31st South Dakota 311-311-302=924
- T-33rd Tennessee Tech 310-303-316=929
- T-33rd Butler 313-312-304=929
- 35th Lehigh 306-312-312=930
- 36th Towson 320-317-295=932
- 37th Richmond 309-317-307=933
- 38th Murray State 308-320-306=934
- 39th Bucknell 323-310-306=939
- 40th Sacred Heart 322-308-312=942
- 41st Longwood 320-307-318=945
- 42nd William & Mary 328-307-311=946
- 43rd Lipscomb 306-333-313=952
- 44th Dayton 326-319-321=966
- 45th Fairfield 344-325-321=990
- 46th North Alabama 333-339-319
- 47th Hofstra 343-323-327=993
- 48th Hampton 347-343-342=1032
- 49th Monmouth 362-339-335=1036
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- T-21st Pan Paksanont 73-74-71=218
- T-45th Brooke Hutto 75-76-72=223
- T-107th Anna Chanthaphaeng 80-75-74
- T-120th Beem Pabsimma 84-75-72=231
- T-131st Kathryn Elliott 73-79-80=232
- USC Upstate returns to the course March 16-17 at the Low Country Intercollegiate in Hilton Head, S.C.
Follow USC Upstate women's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).