Shelby, N.C. – Pan Paksanont had back-to-back rounds of 72 on Sunday to win individual medalist honors while the USC Upstate women's golf team won the GWU Shootout hosted by Gardner-Webb at Cleveland Country Club.
USC Upstate compiled rounds of 303 and 306 to shoot a combined score of 609. Paksanont won the GWU Shootout by one stroke over Gardner-Webb's Morgan Laird after shooting an even-par score.
A LOOK AT THE SCORECARD
- Paksanont picks up her second career individual medalist accolade after winning the Oak Point Championship last season at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic.
- The Spartans also collected their second team championship in the last two seasons after taking home the Oak Point Championship last year during the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Spring Classic.
- Paksanont posted rounds of 72 and 72 for a total score of 144.
- Anna Chanthaphaeng and Kathryn Elliott both finished tied for fourth with combined scores of 151. Chanthaphaeng had rounds of 72-79 and Elliott 74-77.
- Beem Pabsimma registered an 11th place performance at 155 (79-76).
- Brooke Hutto was tied for 17th position with a 159 (80-79).
- Marley DeFreitas (T-21st) and Caroline Heustess (27th) rounded out the individual standings for USC Upstate. DeFreitas had a total score of 162 (80-82) and Heustess 175 (89-86).
COACH'S QUOTES – HEAD COACH TODD LAWTON
- "It was a great win for Pan. She played head-to-head for 36 holes with the girl who finished second and made several clutch shots and putts in the last few holes to seal the win."
- "Overall, our play has been consistent and steady. We have a ton of work to do to continue to improve but the base is solid."
- T-1st USC Upstate 303-306=609
- T-1st Gardner-Webb 309-300=609
- 3rd Appalachian State 317-300=617
- 4th Winthrop 310-309=619
- 5th Wofford 307-316=623
USC UPSTATE PARTICIPANTS
- 1st Pan Paksanont 72-72=144
- T-4th Anna Chanthaphaeng 72-79=151
- T-4th Kathryn Elliott 74-77=151
- 11th Beem Pabsimma 79-76=155
- T-17th Brooke Hutto 80-79=159
- T-21st Marley DeFreitas 80-82=162
- 27th Caroline Heustess 89-86=175
- The Spartans are back on the course Oct. 15-16 at the Big South Match Play in Ninety Six, S.C.
Follow USC Upstate women's golf on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMWGolf), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).