SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team lost another close game on Wednesday night inside the G.B. Hodge Center as Campbell won 59-49.
The Spartans fall to 7-21 overall on the season and 3-14 in Big South competition. The Camels improve to 18-10 and 10-7 in Big South play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The Spartans are currently riding a two game losing streak heading into the final game of the season.
- USC Upstate scored double digit points in every quarter on Wednesday night, breaking a 9 game streak of at least one single digit quarter in the contest.
- Riley Popplewell led the team with a game high 12 points in the contest.
- DeNisha Swain finished the game with 10 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals.
- Shyanne Tuelle led the Camels in scoring with 11 points in the game.
- The Spartans scored 18 points off of 15 Campbell turnovers.
- USC Upstate shot 39 percent from the field, 21 percent from three-point range and 66 percent from the free throw line.
- Campbell shot 37 percent from the field, 25 percent from the three-point arch and 72 percent from the free throw stripe.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Natalia Panufnik scored the first basket of the game with 9:21 remaining in the opening quarter.
- Ashlyn Hampton then tied the game at two with a layup at the 8:26 mark.
- Lauren Carter made a layup at the 5:46 mark to give the Camels a 5-2 advantage. Kathryn Kirkwood then made a layup at the other end of the floor to bring the Spartans within a point.
- The two squads then went back-and-forth the rest of the quarter. Brianna Lewis made the last basket of the quarter with 29 seconds remaining.
- Campbell held an 11-15 advantage going into the second stanza of action.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Swain made the first basket of the second quarter for the Spartans and made the score 15-13 in favor of Campbell.
- The Camels quickly responded with a Hampton mid-range jumper to extend their lead back to four points.
- From the 8:23 mark to 6:34 mark of the quarter the Spartans went on a 5-0 run to take a 20-19 lead.
- The Camels then went on their own 5-0 run to take back the lead.
- Panufnik scored with 3:06 remaining in the quarter to end the Campbell run. Moments later Anda Kuzmina trimmed the lead to a single point.
- Campbell finished the half on a 6-0 run to take a 30-24 advantage going into the halftime break.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans came out swinging in the third quarter as they scored the first two buckets of the second half to bring the score to 30-28.
- The Camels then went on a 10-0 run over the next two minutes to take a 38-28 advantage.
- Kuzmina sank a three-pointer with 3:34 to go to cut the Camels score to single digits.
- Campbell took a 43-34 lead going into the final quarter of action.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Campbell increased their lead to 14 points in the opening moments of the fourth quarter.
- The two teams traded baskets the majority of the quarter, Swain drilled a three-pointer with 2:43 to play to bring the Spartans back within single digits.
- The Camels hit free throws the rest of the way to pick up the 59-49 win over the Spartans.
- USC Upstate ends the regular season with on Saturday afternoon against Gardner-Webb. Senior Day Festivities will begin before the game on Saturday.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).