SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team ended a seven game losing on Tuesday evening with a 58-49 victory over Winthrop inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
With the victory USC Upstate wins their first game in the month of February and improves to 7-19, 3-12 BSC. Winthrop drops to 10-16 and 6-9 in Big South competition.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- USC Upstate snaps a month long losing streak with Tuesday night's win over Winthrop.
- For the first time since 1984-1985 the Spartans have won back-to-back games in the series against the Eagles.
- The Spartans have now gone eight consecutive games with at least one quarter scoring single digits.
- Anda Kuzmina set season high in points (16), rebounds (8), blocks (1), steals (1), minutes (31), field goals made (4) and field goals attempted (11). Kuzmina set a career high in free throws made (7) and free throws attempted (8).
- Riley Popplewell tied for team high eight rebounds and DeNisha Swain led the team in assists with 5.
- USC Upstate had 17 steals and forced 25 Winthrop turnovers. The Spartans also had six fast break points and 20 points off the bench.
- The Spartans shot 39 percent from the field, 22 percent from three point range and 61 percent from the free throw line.
- The score was tied four time and the lead changed twice in the contest. USC Upstate led for 26:06 during the game.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Neither team scored in the opening 3:15 of game time, the Spartans had 4 steals over that time span.
- Swain scored the first points of the game for either team with 7:45 to go in the quarter.
- Anika Riley tied the game up 20 seconds later with a mid-range jumper.
- Popplewell scored the final basket of the quarter with 1:54 to go in the period.
- Winthrop held a 10-6 lead going into the second quarter of action.
- The Spartans shot 13 percent from the field in the opening frame, while Winthrop shot 33 percent from the field.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Once again the two teams went over two and half minutes without scoring to open up the quarter.
- Natalia Panufnik hit a three-pointer with 8:21 to go and brought the Spartans within a point of the Eagles.
- Trailing 10-9 with 7:29 to play, Swain found Kuzmina for a contested layup and the Spartans took an 11-10 lead.
- Seconds later Kem Nwabudu tied the game at 12 with 7:24 to play in the quarter.
- Kathryn Kirkwood then sparked a 5-0 run for the Spartans with a layup in the paint.
- With 1:33 to play in the half the two teams were tied at 17. Rylie Parkhurst took a pass from Breanna Jefferson and knocked down an open three-pointer to give the Spartans the lead.
- Marissa Cantrell made a layup at the other end to make it a one point game, but Kuzmina came through with a layup to give the Spartans a 22-19 lead heading into the halftime break.
- The Spartans shot 33 percent from the field and held Winthrop to 22 percent shooting in the quarter.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate opened up the third period with a 6-2 run. The run propelled the Spartans to a 31-21 advantage with 7:19 to play.
- Winthrop responded quickly with a 6-0 run of their own to make the game a two possession contest.
- At the 2:46 mark of the quarter Maleeah Langstaff made a mid-range jumper and brought the Eagles within a pair of points at 35-33.
- The Spartans then ended the quarter on a 10-4 run to take a 45-37 lead into the final quarter.
- USC Upstate shot 76 percent from the field and 50 percent from three point range.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Neither team scored in the first two minutes of the fourth quarter.
- Kuzmina drilled a jumper with 7:56 to play to give the Spartans a 47-37 advantage.
- The Spartans lead ballooned to 12 points with 6:33 remaining in the contest.
- At the 2:46 mark of the quarter Nwabudu made a layup to make the score 55-49.
- Then the two offenses went silent for 2:20 minutes down the stretch.
- USC Upstate hit their free throws down the stretch and took home a 58-49 victory over the Winthrop Eagles.
- The Spartans travel to Big South Conference leader Radford on Saturday afternoon. Tip-off is set for 2:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).