FARMVILLE, Va. – The USC Upstate women's basketball team lost to Longwood University 80-58 on Tuesday night.
With the loss USC Upstate falls to 6-17 overall and 2-10 in Big South Conference play. Longwood improves to 3-19 on the season and 2-10 in Big South play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- USC Upstate is currently on their longest losing streak of the season at five games.
- Brianna Lewis led the team in scoring with 17 points and DeNisha Swain contributed 12 points in the loss.
- Riley Popplewell had a team high 11 rebounds.
- Longwood had four players end the game in double figures. Mallory Odell recorded a double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds, Dayna Rouse added 15 points, Stephanie Guihon contributed 14 points and Kate Spradlin registered 12 points in the victory.
- The Spartans shot 30 percent from the field, 27 percent from three-point range and 88 percent from the free throw line.
- Longwood shot 50 percent from the field, 46 percent from three-point range and 63 percent from the charity stripe.
FIRST QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Longwood won the opening tip and Kate Spradlin hit an open three-pointer to score the first points of the game.
- The Lancers then proceeded to open the game on a 9-0 run and forced the Spartans to call an early timeout with 7:38 remaining in the opening frame.
- Brianna Lewis swished in a pair of free throws to give the Spartans their first points of the game at the 3:58 mark of the quarter.
- Michaela Gibbons hit a three-pointer with 2:19 to play to give USC Upstate their first field goal of the game.
- Breanna Jefferson hit a wide-open layup at the end of the quarter to give the Spartans seven points in the opening quarter.
- The Lancers went into the second quarter leading 21-7, USC Upstate shot 13 percent in the first quarter.
SECOND QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Mallory Odell scored the Lancers first basket of the second quarter and gave Longwood a 23-7 advantage.
- DeNisha Swain sank a pair of free throws to give the Spartans their first points of the quarter.
- With 8:17 to play in the half Lewis knocked down a basket to give USC Upstate their first field goal of the period.
- At the second quarter media timeout the Spartans trailed 31-11.
- Riley Popplewell made a pair of free throws at the 3:16 mark of the quarter to score her first points of the game.
- The Spartans went 3-for-4 down the stretch and Riley Parkhurst made the Spartans final basket of the half.
- USC Upstate shot 30 percent in the second quarter and trailed 45-21 going into the halftime break.
THIRD QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Stephanie Guihon scored the first bucket of the half with a layup at the 9:17 mark of the quarter.
- Popplewell nailed a jumper with 7:33 to go in the quarter to give the Spartans their first bucket of the half.
- The Spartans then went on a 5-0 run over a 1:03 span going into the third quarter media timeout.
- Lewis hit a jumper with 12 seconds to go in the quarter, USC Upstate finished the third period on a 5-1 run.
- USC Upstate scored 19 points in the quarter and shot 29 percent in the period. The Spartans trailed 65-40 going into the final frame.
FOURTH QUARTER BREAKDOWN
- Longwood opened up the final quarter with a 5-0 run against the Spartans. USC Upstate quickly countered with a 4-0 run of their own.
- USC Upstate then went on an 8-0 run over a 3:58 span in the fourth quarter and began to cut down on the Longwood lead.
- The Spartans ended the game on a 10-2 run and held Longwood scoreless the final 1:31 of the game.
- Camilla Kilinc scored the Spartans final basket of the game at the 1:12 mark of the fourth quarter.
- USC Upstate outscored Longwood 18-15 in the final quarter of play and shot 47 percent from the field.
- USC Upstate returns home on Tuesday, January 19 to face Presbyterian College. The Spartans game against the Blue Hose is also a Play for Kay Game, with tip-off scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate women's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateWB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and via text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).